• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

US gold Half Eagles

RacerCool

Around these parts, I know the Sovereign is the coin of choice for fractional stackers/collectors, and if I lived in the UK, it would be my coin of choice, too.  But for someone like me dwelling on the other side of the pond, the US version is the Half Eagle ($5 face). They were minted for circulation from 1795 to 1929, then in commemorative form from 1986 to today.  

This is the largest gold coin I buy, at about 1/4 ounce of gold (.2419 oz).  The pre-1930 circulated versions tend to consistently go for over $400, on up, especially the Indian heads from 1908-1929.  They tend to go for more.

But the commemoratives tend to go for easily less than $400, even proofs, which makes them the best value for my Federal Reserve monopoly money notes.  Which means for a stacker, they're usually the way to go, with the lowest premiums.

Enough history lesson.

Has anyone managed to get one of each of the commemoratives?  What were the most difficult to find?  Some time ago I decided to focus on the cheaper commemoratives, since if I'm going to stack anyway, why not go for the least premium, and why not go for an actual collection.  So as I stack I want to eventually get one of each year.  But I don't want to have almost a complete stack/collection of them, and find out that two or three of them are ridiculously expensive.

I eventually managed a run of 10 commemoratives. Sold the last remaining three couple of weeks ago (see pics). I pick them up cheap too so they are usually the first to go if I need cash. I like the designs on them, but also don’t get attached. I will buy any pre33 halves and lower if I get them below 5%, sadly they aren’t that easy to get in the UK. CC462B12-12FD-4E15-8F7A-9E43215BA926.thumb.jpeg.e6e2f5613e4beae93dcaae39fccf9e7a.jpegD0B77CF3-D267-4134-A541-9C5D1773D59E.thumb.jpeg.ec071f9e366c463025472b306d130a30.jpegF8B34495-ED90-4EED-B05A-17FE93AEB389.thumb.jpeg.26f5e1711e3b7748d468af11a7d16846.jpeg

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

If you want the whole set, there are a few that are expensive.
96W Olympic Cauldron MS ~ $700
97W Jackie Robinson MS ~ $900
14W Hall of Fame, individual players. The basic coin is ~ $500, but the individual payers are very high. So you could skip the players.

Those are the problem coins in MS. Not too bad really.

Archived