• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help Identifying Silver Makers Hallmark - Silver Spoon

CoinCollector567

Hi,

I would appreciate any help on identifying the marker's mark on this silver spoon I found. The other hallmarks are for sterling silver, Sheffield and 1891, so Victorian in age.

The maker' mark is the letters P . A Inside a rectangle.

I have tried all the usual websites and books I use to find maker's mark but this time no luck!

If you have any info please help!!
Thanks,
Coin Collector

IMG_2827.jpeg

IMG_2826.jpeg

IMG_2825.jpeg

The Crown and Lion is Sheffield.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

i looked at this yesterday - This is Sheffield hallmarked Sterling. 
The marker's mark is confusing.

You get the year not just from the letter and its shape - the other marks, their arrangement and orientation are also important.

We have crown, lion and then year letter. The capital year letter is inside a square with chambered corners. 
There are no other marks excepting the maker's mark.

1891-1917.gif1891Y.gif

There is more than one Peter Aitken. There was a Peter Aitken I in Glasgow. It is Peter Aitken I to distinguish him from Peter Aitken II. So you would have a Glasgow mark and in any case he was much earlier than 1891. 

The thing is the mark in isolation looks like Peter Aitken I

PA-PeterAitken.jpg

Peter Aitken II was in Yorkshire. 

If you look at PA II on this page you will see it comes from a spoon but the maker's mark is not the one on your spoon. The silverware the mark is taken from is also too early for your spoon.

PAJr-PeterAitkenII.jpg

https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Glasgow-KR.html#P

So is there someone else registered in Sheffield using PA or did Peter Aitken II have another mark at a later date?  

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

3 hours ago, sixgun said:

i looked at this yesterday - This is Sheffield hallmarked Sterling. 
The marker's mark is confusing.

You get the year not just from the letter and its shape - the other marks, their arrangement and orientation are also important.

We have crown, lion and then year letter. The capital year letter is inside a square with chambered corners. 
There are no other marks excepting the maker's mark.

1891-1917.gif1891Y.gif

There is more than one Peter Aitken. There was a Peter Aitken I in Glasgow. It is Peter Aitken I to distinguish him from Peter Aitken II. So you would have a Glasgow mark and in any case he was much earlier than 1891. 

The thing is the mark in isolation looks like Peter Aitken I

PA-PeterAitken.jpg

Peter Aitken II was in Yorkshire. 

If you look at PA II on this page you will see it comes from a spoon but the maker's mark is not the one on your spoon. The silverware the mark is taken from is also too early for your spoon.

PAJr-PeterAitkenII.jpg

https://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Glasgow-KR.html#P

So is there someone else registered in Sheffield using PA or did Peter Aitken II have another mark at a later date?  

Thanks for the research!

Yes the makers mark is a mystery and this is only the second ever hallmark that I have not been able to find out exactly what it was. I buy and sell antique silver so get quite a lot of different hallmarks passing through. I might just have to sell it on and explain that I am not sure of the maker!

Thanks again for the research.

Archived