• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1964 morgan silver dollar?

mccaslyn

Hello all, pretty new to silver stacking or collecting and I saw this in a big pile of coins at my local coin shop. Was wondering if its anything special? Not to much information on this, at first didnt really notice it didn't say .999 fine or anything of the sort (which for me is kind of a negative). Any information would be appreciated and thanks for letting me aboard!

https://www.coinworld.com/news/precious-metals/new-details-on-the-1964-morgan-dollar-and-the-1964-peace-dollar.html

No mintage figures are available for 1964 either.....

I would certainly try testing it for authenticity.

There was a silver clad version produced by some company and had "cook islands" next to the wing which I cannot see on yours.

Howdy!  I see you are in Florida.  Selling "copies" of a US minted coin in the US without the normal caveats ("copy" ".999 silver" etc) is technically illegal.  I don't see any of these on your coin.  It also has the classic markings of a genuine Morgan Dollar, which is also suspect.  My advise when this happens:  if you walk away, you will not lose any money or get into trouble trying to sell a counterfeit down the road (or a "perceived" counterfeit).  🙂   The Morgan was last minted in 1921, and there were prototypes from 1964 that are tightly controlled (the US Mint was considering one last mintage of a .900 silver dollar).  Thanks from Scotty at CoinFinders

Not to put a too fine point on this:  if this was an actual 1964 Morgan Dollar that somehow legally made it's way out of the US Mint, the coin dealer you visited would not have this in his junk box.  This would easily be a 6-figure coin.

Could it be a Danial Carr coin made in Denver? He has made lots of coins like a 1908-o morgan and a 1931 standing liberty quarter. He also made a 1964 peace dollar. As no U.S. coins were made in those years it is legal for them to be made and sold. He bought a old coin press from the denver mint. Google Danial Carr for more info.

Do a s.g. test if you want to know if it is silver.  Basically weigh normally in air then in water and divide the weight in air by the weight in air minus weight in water.  You can look up specific gravity test for coins for full details and some methods along with figures for different grades of silver and gold.

Archived