• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Would using 'Smartwater' on coins be advisable?

MickB

Would there be any problems in marking coins using 'Smartwater' technology?

It would make it easier to get stolen property back but it's still on there even when sold on. Would it cause a problem later for the buyer?

Don't know if there would be any visible residue on the surface of a coin which may affect the resale of a high value coin.

Was thinking of using it but not too sure.

this is a Really good question!

is the water registered to you and can you copy the license/registration and maybe give that along with the resale of the coin?

so yes it`s tagged, but here`s my permission to use this specific tag, type of affair.

darn good question there! I`d love to see a decisive answer to it myself :)

edited to add: as an after-thought, it might be an idea to test some maybe on a maple or similar low value coin, just to see if the water leaves marks on the surface too, it could render the entire idea moot if it leaves ugly marks.

If your coins are capsulated, some smart water inside the capsule may be a good idea.

It would be easy to dispose of the capsules though. Any chance of getting them back is better than no chance at all.

The other problem on my mind is if I purchased an expensive coin that had it on, where a seller had a similar stolen & I wanted to sell mine onwards, it would then flag up as stolen, possibly.

Depending on the surface being treated, Smartwater can leave visible traces which can be seen under magnification and on some surfaces you can even notice a treated area with the naked eye. Within the fluid are the microscopic dots which carry the registration number, which you'd need to provide in the event of goods being stolen, then you'd have to hope the goods were recovered and that the police check for Smartwater presence. I'd say if you had a collection that needs to be kept together, like a boxed set, the best bet is to tag the containers/box/etc. Chances are - unless you are tagging bullion - it's not a good idea to use it on coins as collectors seem to be such a precious bunch. If it was used to mark bullion I very much doubt the dots or solution would survive being melted down anyway.

Archived