• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fractional Silver

Croatianstacker

Hello 1/2 ounce silver coin is pretty cheap and could be seen as a "fractional" way of having silver 

https://goldsilver.be/fr/12-oz/110-12-oz-argent-noah-s-ark.html

The NOAH'S ARK 1/2 ounce only cost 8 euros that's 16 for an ounce of "fractional" silver which is not really that much compared to kookaburra + the coin is beautiful.

No.

The only fractional silver worth buying, in my not so humble opinion, is junk silver dimes and half dollars.  It's the same price for the mints to create 1/10th oz things as 1oz things, so for 10 1/10th oz things you're paying10x the premium (approximately).

With junk silver, the government paid that expense because they made the coins in huge quantities, so you're getting that premium paid for free .. junk silver is close to spot price and much cheaper than 1/10th oz rounds.

16 hours ago, vand said:

That's 28.9% over spot. No thanks.

That is 16 euros an ounce, if that is way too expensive in your opinion, what kind of ounces do you buy then, and what are you paying for them? Can't seem to find lower than 14,80 on internet...

1 hour ago, FFkook said:

That is 16 euros an ounce, if that is way too expensive in your opinion, what kind of ounces do you buy then, and what are you paying for them? Can't seem to find lower than 14,80 on internet...

In the financial world its standard to think and work in percentage terms, not absolute dollar/pound/euro amounts. 

Cheapest coins on GS.be are about 16% over spot, so on those half-oz coins you are paying almost double the premium. a dollar more a coin might not sound like much but if you stack a few thousand coins you will get materially more metal for your money if minimize the premium you are paying.

Do you know how HARD it is to find an investment that will pay 14-15%? that is what you are giving up.

I'm not saying you should absolutely always go for the lowest premium available - I don't do so myself - but it's a mistake to think that an extra dollar a coin is insignificant. It's a percentage that could have otherwise been used to buy more metal or anything else.

On 19/11/2018 at 17:17, vand said:

In the financial world its standard to think and work in percentage terms, not absolute dollar/pound/euro amounts. 

Cheapest coins on GS.be are about 16% over spot, so on those half-oz coins you are paying almost double the premium. a dollar more a coin might not sound like much but if you stack a few thousand coins you will get materially more metal for your money if minimize the premium you are paying.

Do you know how HARD it is to find an investment that will pay 14-15%? that is what you are giving up.

I'm not saying you should absolutely always go for the lowest premium available - I don't do so myself - but it's a mistake to think that an extra dollar a coin is insignificant. It's a percentage that could have otherwise been used to buy more metal or anything else.

I completely agree, if we are talking on a purely investment level, you can only compare on a percentage basis to see the true comparison like for like.

Archived