• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hello from the Netherlands!

FFkook

5 minutes ago, HelpingHands said:

So Double-Dutch?

Sort of. South African is a strange mix of Dutch, Belgian, English and French. A South African will also understand Dutch pretty well.. 

Fun fact: the krugerrand coins say "Fyngoud" and "Fynzilwer" , which are originated from the Dutch "fijngoud" and "fijnzilver", pronounced the same.. 

Every day a school day, I say! 

Edit: I forgot, triple Dutch as Belgian is also originated from Dutch, only with accent and other choice of words. Dutch and Belgians all understand each other! 

Hi and greetings from Lincolnshire. Been planning a trip to Amsterdam for about 20 years but not managed it yet to the great disappointment of my wife. But as I explained to her she has been to the airport there three times already! Women......never satisfied.....

8 hours ago, Gorseinonboy said:

Hi and greetings from Lincolnshire. Been planning a trip to Amsterdam for about 20 years but not managed it yet to the great disappointment of my wife. But as I explained to her she has been to the airport there three times already! Women......never satisfied.....

Let me know when you're going for some good advice.. Worked and live there for seven years.. 

Totally agree with you there@Gorseinonboy

Why is it that Europeans in general are so very good at languages. It's a skill I wish I had, alas, not to be. However, I smile nicely in all languages so that helps?

Germanic languages I understand are relatively similar in construction? So once one is learned, the others are not so very hard to pick up. Of course I could be completely wrong, after all, it's the Queen's English that I speak?

Yep, Afrikaans is understood by the Dutch. I was told it was a kind of old form of Dutch, but who am I to know?

I may pick your brains@FFkook re travel in The Netherlands. Only been to Amsterdam and that was many moons ago.

36 minutes ago, caloundracats said:

Totally agree with you there@Gorseinonboy

Why is it that Europeans in general are so very good at languages. It's a skill I wish I had, alas, not to be. However, I smile nicely in all languages so that helps?

Germanic languages I understand are relatively similar in construction? So once one is learned, the others are not so very hard to pick up. Of course I could be completely wrong, after all, it's the Queen's English that I speak?

Yep, Afrikaans is understood by the Dutch. I was told it was a kind of old form of Dutch, but who am I to know?

I may pick your brains@FFkook re travel in The Netherlands. Only been to Amsterdam and that was many moons ago.

Well, not all Europeans. Germany for example, there are parts where they speak very good English(my guessing is the old West-Germany does it best), but in general they don't. Even new movies in cinema, and English spoken TV is translated in German, so there are voice-overs... That makes watching a movie a pain in the behind!

Indeed, Germanic languages have the same construction in sentences which makes it easier to learn.. South African is not really an old form of Dutch, it was created when the Dutch, French, Belgians, and Polish people al created this language, but 95% of the language are Dutch originated words. In the early days "South African" used to be called the "Kaap-Hollandse taal", or the "Cape-Dutch language". Fun fact, there is also a difference between, Holland, the Netherlands, and Dutch.. If interested, this is a really quick and complete video explaining it all: 

As for a trip to Amsterdam @caloundracats , you're more then welcome. First advice, skip Amsterdam ;-). There are far better cities like The Hague(Den Haag), which is onofficially the capital of the Netherlands, housing the whole government, Ministries, embassy's and houses the Royal Family. And it is situated on the beachside!

51 minutes ago, caloundracats said:

Great video @FFkook  although I wish the speaker could speed it up a bit?. Mind you, they left out Van Dieman's Land!

Yes, The Hague seems to be the place to go although not into beaches!? (personal joke on myself).

Ha, Tasmania, found bij Abel Tasman, o yes I know the Dutch history very well ;)

Skip on the beach then, The Hague has a lot to offer, as well as Rotterdam!

Archived