• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Proof Sovereigns, what's the upside potential?

daniel.yrh

Anyone here collects proof sovereigns (not the bullion gold sovereigns)? They are going for pretty cheap on eBay (as a proof coin I mean, low premium over spot) unlike recent years proof gold coins from Royal Mint.

Are these worth collecting? How's the collector base in UK? I'm looking at collecting date-sets for the proof sovereign, or proof half-sovereign. The proof quarter-sovereign looks really tiny and it does not have fine details like its bigger brothers.

Your thoughts please :)  

love em !

What do you class as "cheap" over spot ?

For me I would consider paying between +5% and +8% but no more.

New issue RM prices are for people with more money than they know how to spend.

wow 5-8% spot?? In Singapore normal sovereign (bullion) has premiums close to 12% above spot, have not seen any proof sovereigns for sale here but I am quite sure their premiums are well over 12%... probably close to 150% above spot for the proof!  

wow 5-8% spot?? In Singapore normal sovereign (bullion) has premiums close to 12% above spot, have not seen any proof sovereigns for sale here but I am quite sure their premiums are well over 12%... probably close to 150% above spot for the proof!  

New, the premiums are huge.  But then, still only a tiny % when compared with silver.

Secondary market proof sovereigns can be had for around 15% or less when shopping about.

If you like proofs, then there's no reason why you couldn't collect them.  I would buy from the secondary market though.

Archived