• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Have i got my first fake?

silversword

So, I picked up a Pan-American 1oz bar from eBay (where else?) advertised as solid silver, no mention of clad, layered or anything else.

It looks right; the finish and lettering are fine. The dimensions are right, give or take fractions of a milimetre. It mostly sounds right, although I've only ever used the ring test on coins which are a different shape, so not sure. A neodymium magnet slides down it slowly, but otherwise no signs of magnetic attraction or activity. So far, so good.

Ordinarily I'd be happy but of course the weight needs to be checked. Well, its weighs in at 34g. (Alarm bells ringing, I re-weigh a recently acquired (and genuine) Philharmonic on my scale and it's 31.26g, same as when I got it last week - so the scale is fine). Expected 31g plus for the bar, but certainly not upwards of 33g. 

Either the mint have been 10% more generous or the bar is plated with a dense core. Really not sure about this one but fear the worst. 

A little bit of detective work on "that well-known site" has turned up a listing for fake Pan American silver bars weighing in at 33-34g. Silver plated with brass core. Brass obviously contains copper, copper is diamagnetic by itself and thus brass is too, albeit not to the same level as silver. I'm thinking I could have got the depth measurement wrong due to the lip on the edge of the bar, because brass doesn't have the density to match silver and should result in a thicker bar, unless there is something else in there as well. 

I have never done the SG test before but I think I am just going to return these, I am not happy with them, knowing what I know.

Archived