• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I have an iPhone 11 Pro, which doesn’t have a macro facility, that is 13 onwards.

I have looked at macro attachments, are they worthwhile or am I just buying something else that won’t match my expectations?

Also the Pro has three lenses, which one does it fit over?

Thank you people🖖

A coin is not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

Amor Vincit Omnia.

15 minutes ago, Aldebaran said:

I have an iPhone 11 Pro, which doesn’t have a macro facility, that is 13 onwards.

I have looked at macro attachments, are they worthwhile or am I just buying something else that won’t match my expectations?

Also the Pro has three lenses, which one does it fit over?

Thank you people🖖

I can answer this -

Some of my early photos were done with a Samsung Note 10 and a clip-on macro lens.  They're ok as they go but have one major issue in that they can only focus up to a few centimetres from the lens.  This makes it tricky to decently light the coins as the phone gets in the way, and the camera has a very narrow depth of focus (less than 1mm) and the whole assembly is small enough to be prone to diffraction effects.  This makes it tricky to get decent focus on coins.

As the lenses are quite cheap (mine was about £20) it's worth trying.  However, you would get better results with a phone hat has a periscope camera as it will be able to zoom on the coin enough without the macro lens.  Modern iPhones and quite a few modern Android models have these.   @Solachesis took his photos with an android phone that had a periscope camera.

You can see which lens to clip the macro extension over by running the camera app and just looking.  You might also need to take any cases off the phone, as they can get in the way of the lens (in between the lens and the phone's camera) and affect the focus.  You'll probably also need to get a tripod and a clamp for the phone and one of the little bluetooth dohickeys for remotely triggering the shutter.  I also used to use a little spirit level to make sure the phone was pointing straight down.

The last thing is that gold tends to confuse the software that auto-calibrates the colour settings, so you might want to get a grey card (a few quid off Amazon) and figure out how to lock the white balance on your camera app - point the camera at the grey card and lock the white balance once it's adjusted.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

It seems like a lot of messing about unless you are trying to compete with Charliemouse in coin photos.  For ordinary coin photos, your iphone should be fine as is.  Problem with lens attachments, they are usually clumsy and cause more problems than they solve. 

Never Chase and Never Regret 

23 minutes ago, Silverlocks said:

I can answer this -

Some of my early photos were done with a Samsung Note 10 and a clip-on macro lens.  They're ok as they go but have one major issue in that they can only focus up to a few centimetres from the lens.  This makes it tricky to decently light the coins as the phone gets in the way, and the camera has a very narrow depth of focus (less than 1mm) and the whole assembly is small enough to be prone to diffraction effects.  This makes it tricky to get decent focus on coins.

As the lenses are quite cheap (mine was about £20) it's worth trying.  However, you would get better results with a phone hat has a periscope camera as it will be able to zoom on the coin enough without the macro lens.  Modern iPhones and quite a few modern Android models have these.   @Solachesis took his photos with an android phone that had a periscope camera.

You can see which lens to clip the macro extension over by running the camera app and just looking.  You might also need to take any cases off the phone, as they can get in the way of the lens (in between the lens and the phone's camera) and affect the focus.  You'll probably also need to get a tripod and a clamp for the phone and one of the little bluetooth dohickeys for remotely triggering the shutter.  I also used to use a little spirit level to make sure the phone was pointing straight down.

The last thing is that gold tends to confuse the software that auto-calibrates the colour settings, so you might want to get a grey card (a few quid off Amazon) and figure out how to lock the white balance on your camera app - point the camera at the grey card and lock the white balance once it's adjusted.

Thank you m’dear, I think you have answered my question😊

I know how good you are with photography and welcome your advice.

I think that I shall stick with my ‘snaps’, which seem quite reasonable, but I will buy some grey card or find some grey silk rather than my purple background.

xx

Amor Vincit Omnia.

9 minutes ago, Spyder said:

It seems like a lot of messing about unless you are trying to compete with Charliemouse in coin photos.  For ordinary coin photos, your iphone should be fine as is.  Problem with lens attachments, they are usually clumsy and cause more problems than they solve. 

I know that you’re right, as always, thank you😊

Amor Vincit Omnia.

On 06/03/2024 at 11:55, Aldebaran said:

I know that you’re right, as always, thank you😊

I generally agree with all of the above.

For further info, this is one of the first guides I did on here...

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

Also, since I know you have an interchangeable lens camera, for a similar price to a plastic clip-on lens, you could try...

You will get far better pictures than any phone will produce.

12 Beginner Tips for Better Coin Photos

Everything you need to take great coin photos

Douglas Hubbard: Never attribute to malice or stupidity that which can be explained by moderately rational individuals following incentives in a complex system of interactions.

Carl Sagan: One of the great commandments of science is, "Mistrust arguments from authority."

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

I generally agree with all of the above.

For further info, this is one of the first guides I did on here...

2 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

Also, since I know you have an interchangeable lens camera, for a similar price to a plastic clip-on lens, you could try...

You will get far better pictures than any phone will produce.

Thank you @Charliemouse, I will read your posts. 🖖

……..I have read your posts, really great.  Thanks again 🌞

Edited by Aldebaran

Amor Vincit Omnia.

Cookies & terms of service

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. By continuing to use this site you consent to the use of cookies and to our Privacy Policy & Terms of Use