• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Premiums!

I'm curious to know what everyone's premium limit is when buying gold and silver but more so silver. I have watched a lot of youtube with the likes of backyard bullion and yankie stacking and premiums get brought up all the time. However Yankie mentioned in one of his videos he only buys silver that is below 20% premium. Well here in the UK if you were to buy from a retailer that is VAT registered such as Atkinsons Bullion you are already paying 20% due to VAT. So technically here in the UK the spot price is always going to be 20% higher than it should be as even second hand sellers will still add 20% onto their prices since if you were to look else where you will be paying that in VAT. So when buying off of TSF if the spot price was £19 and someone was selling 1oz of 999 fine Silver for £23.75 would you guys look at it as a 25% premium or a 5% premium?? Obviously Gold doesn't have this issue but I am still curious of what percentage of premium you are willing to pay over spot. 

Edited by JWHocking

12 hours ago, JWHocking said:

However I have made a few mistakes in my stack like starting out buying bullion silver from major retailers which packed quite the premium,

Common mistake to make for newbies.  I did the same thing, but you live and learn, and usually pretty fast once you find TSF !   That said however, sometimes dealers DO have good offers, and some coins are just irresistible.    I got two Germania Mint Hildegards which came at just about 100% premium, but they're beautiful and there are only 25 000 of them.

Edited by flyingveepixie

12 hours ago, stefffana said:

Also, there are plenty more 0% premium silver products for those who want to have physical silver at low prices (flatware, old circulated coins, etc.). It is only about individuals/personal stacking strategy and everyone can choose what it is more suitable for him.

This has been my strategy for many years as I see no point in paying VAT or dealers premiums.

Just bought some under spot Silver at an auction today, Silver is Silver as far as I'm concerned so I like to buy it as cheap as possible.

However I totally understand why people collect coins as it's a fascinating hobby but buying Silver Bullion it's very difficult to recoup the VAT and premiums.