• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How much force is needed?

How much force is needed to die strike a silver coin? 

I saw a custom hammered die set up made for a 1.25 coin.

I asked about having one made for a coin 1.75 inches but, was told I would need around 160 tons of force to get a good image rendering. 

That seems like a lot considering it is only a 1/2 inch difference.

A machinist told me it can be done with much less. Maybe around 30 tons.

Looks like it also depends on the size of the coin. Quick googling returns this:

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/production-process/coin-production

Circulating coin presses use from 35 to 100 metric tons of pressure to strike the coins, depending on the denomination. Other presses strike with up to 540 tons of force, the pressure used to create the America the Beautiful Five Ounce Silver Coins

49 minutes ago, AriArid said:

Looks like it also depends on the size of the coin. Quick googling returns this:

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/production-process/coin-production

I saw that but, I figured that did not really apply as currency coins sandwich different metals together so, they need more force and a 5 oz silver coin is huge.

Edited by maverick323

Well, if you’re thinking about making coins yourself, just order a die and then run some tests on different machines.

I’m thinking about my own custom made coins, that’s exactly the way I’m gonna do it :)

17 hours ago, maverick323 said:

How much force is needed to die strike a silver coin? 

I saw a custom hammered die set up made for a 1.25 coin.

I asked about having one made for a coin 1.75 inches but, was told I would need around 160 tons of force to get a good image rendering. 

That seems like a lot considering it is only a 1/2 inch difference.

A machinist told me it can be done with much less. Maybe around 30 tons.

Quite possible, it's an area thing so the pressure required will go up by a squared term not linear.

I.E. if you double the diameter of the coin the force required goes up 4x not just double.

"To get to where I need to be, I start by walking away from where I am."