• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Newbie help .

Makey1976

Hi newbie here just starting out . And have a few questions about buy gold and silver.

I thinking about starting with gold sovereigns and silver Britannias.

where is place to find daily prices of coins etc 

how much over price should be top limit.

I have seen proof , graded etc , is it worth buy these at a premium .

I plan to keep long term if that help .

sorry if these a daft question just don’t want to get stung and would like to know a bit more before spending cash each month .

thankx 

24 minutes ago, Makey1976 said:

Hi newbie here just starting out . And have a few questions about buy gold and silver.

I thinking about starting with gold sovereigns and silver Britannias.

where is place to find daily prices of coins etc 

how much over price should be top limit.

I have seen proof , graded etc , is it worth buy these at a premium .

I plan to keep long term if that help .

sorry if these a daft question just don’t want to get stung and would like to know a bit more before spending cash each month .

thankx 

Welcome @Makey1976 you’ll find plenty of good advice on these pages and this forum. Sovs and Brits are a great place to start out (that’s predominantly where I’m at). With regards prices, have a look at what’s sold recently on the forum and what’s available online at some of the dealers (Atkinsons, Chards, Tavex, Baird etc etc) and that’ll give you a good range to work within. Silver Brits are knocking about for about £24 on the forum (and no vat when bought on secondary market) and gold Sovs are selling around the £400 mark at the minute. The best deals will go super fast so if not already a premium member it’s worth signing up so you get immediate access to the trade section. Good luck and have fun

Welcome. Gold Sovereigns are always a great pick. Silver Britannia's are the top choice in the UK. As already mentioned just watch for premiums/VAT. If you go through a dealer see if they have any second hand stock available to save you some money.

In terms of grading/proof those should be for collectors only really, if you're buying for investment purposes I'd steer clear, you'll have lots more to worry about (is the condition perfect or not), and will have a much harder time knowing what you can get for it (sell quickly to a dealer/middleman at a lower price, or spend a longer time finding a very keen buyer privately to get a good price).