• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Silver or gold or both ??

VonHaida

I recently bought a little over 3ks worth, so been in your position. I did it sporadically and definitely bought badly initially, meaning I paid too much for some silver coins. But, not too bothered as in the long run, should be fine.

Many mention HGM metals for sovereigns, and while it is cheaper on the face of it, when you add postage in, you can actually pick them up cheaper on Atkinsons (free delivery), for both half and full? Am I missing something with that? (just checked and it does vary. Sometimes its Atkinsons, sometimes HGM). Full sovereigns right now are I think about £2 cheaper on HGM.

It does seem to go up and down, but Atkinsons has always come out cheapest every time I have bought anything.

Keep an eye on the "Pre-Owned" section for silver coins as you can pick them up VAT free from time to time and at very good prices over spot (depending on volume). If you buy new you are paying a hefty chunk on VAT and will be wayyy over spot. I also bought from CelticGold.eu as well as you can pick up VAT FREE when you do that for silver.

Sovereigns are good on all fronts, as CGT free, and as many have said above (that know well more than me), hold value well. I have one half sovereign but do want more now as my silver has grown. 

Also, if buying purely for weight, keep a spreadsheet with your average cost per ounce. As you buy more ounces, especially if buying regularly, it is very handy to know what your average cost per ounce is, so you can look for opportunities to buy lower than that, thus bringing the average of the whole stack down.

Good luck only spending that initial 3k! :) You will want more.

Your personal gold to silver ratio depends on what you want out of the metals. Gold is relatively less volatile than silver historically but both are volatile compared to other investments. Large paper losses and gains in both are to be expected. Silver emphasises this trait further, which may or may not be attractive to you. 

You can get silver from VAT free dealers in Europe, cheapest you can find. You will still pay above spot about 15% unless you are lucky so that is 15% you need silver to rise before break even. Don't ever buy bullion silver with VAT on it like I did in the early days.

You can get some gold from anywhere with relatively low premiums, I aim for below 5% including postage, but often you can get it for less - HGM is a good option for a larger order of bullion as most coins are 2-3% above spot. I prefer gold, but everyone is different.

Welcome to the forum :)

I was mad for silver, had a lot of ounces. Mainly gone now, thankfully for what I paid.

I have a small reserve left just incase, but for me it is gold all day long.

Easy to transport and sell.

Currently stacking 1/4 oz (22ct) and Sovs.

Archived