• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying silver from EU

caf84

Morning,

I'm pretty sure that I have seen a thread on here which is a sort of definitive guide to buying silver online from EU and having it delivered to the UK covering vat, import duty etc.

I've had a search but can't seem to find it.

If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated. 

Thanks 

I am not sure many of us buy silver from the EU anymore due to VAT and courier fees.
The rules are fairly simple but you can end up arguing costs with sellers and couriers so maybe it just isn't worth the stress.

Sellers that accept orders from the UK ( some sellers will not accept orders from the UK now ) should have registered with the UK and for low value orders up to £135 they can invoice 20% VAT and you should have nothing more to pay.

Larger orders however will be shipped at the seller's price ( be careful here as they should not be adding their own VAT - but some do ) and the courier will demand 20% VAT plus a handling fee of around £10 or maybe even up to 2.5% of value.

Once you have worked out your actual costs adding VAT, shipping and courier fees you may find buying in the UK works out slightly cheaper.
That's the whole point of Brexit and exactly what the government wants - do not buy imports.
Really sucks when you are looking to buy Royal Mint manufactured coins but then I had a friend living opposite the gates of the factory making Jaguar cars and he ordered his in Japan as he literally saw it being transported past his front door, freighted to Japan, dealer margin added then imported back to the UK etc. ( That was a while back so cannot say that's still the case today ).