• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

my dilemma

DrDime

I just picked up four Brittanlas (2002, 2003, 2005 and 2007). The thing is I got them to put in my new box but they are carded and sealed in the original mine plastic covering over the cards. Do I just crack them open or will this affect any premium they might get?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apply the 'Matchbox Cars philosophy' to any type of collecting.  Mint condition and in the original box (card) and this will command a premium over just the toy/coin on its own. 

It you look for a recent thread within this forum and in respect of the Rwanda African Animals series, this gives an indication to premiums people are willing to pay for the coin in the original packaging. 

You need to weigh up the lack of uniformity that displaying a card(s) has over the regimentation that capsules will give you 

Personally, I would (and have) cracked them out.

They are not sealed into the card, they just press into it from one side so can still be sold as carded.

I was a britannia collector before anything else, and have rarely seen the carded make much more premium than capsuled.

They are your coins, do what makes you happy.

Stacker since 2013

AS a child I got my star wars figures and ripped them straight out of the card/packaging, many a time I've looked at the prices they command in the original packaging and thought.........ahhh if only.

I think that was a lesson learnt and now if things don't have to come out the original packaging that's where they stay, you never know what the future holds, you'll never regret leaving them in the packaging but you may one day regret taking them out.

Thanks for the replies :) Danny: that's the info I was after because they are sealed in the outer mint plastic I couldn't tell if I had to destroy the card to get them out. I think I'm going to get them out and keep the cards for selling on. After all I've been at it with the dymo and don't think I can hold out

a6uvamud.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies :) Danny: that's the info I was after because they are sealed in the outer mint plastic I couldn't tell if I had to destroy the card to get them out.

Glad I could help matey. Looks like you are as anal as I am from your pic too. Lol.

Some of the britannias I bought came in the cards and were swiftly removed. Have kept the cards for resale though, as you rightly suggest.

I do like my britannias.

Stacker since 2013

AS a child I got my star wars figures and ripped them straight out of the card/packaging, many a time I've looked at the prices they command in the original packaging and thought.........ahhh if only

I have often thought the same thing. In the end though, hours of childhood fun probably makes taking them out the packaging worthwhile.

Anyone want a millennium falcon with some parts missing?

I was kidding mate.

If I started bringing home Star Wars stuff, my suitcase would be on the doorstep before I could blink.

I collect enough stuff as it is.

I figured as much, I should have ended my post with a smiley :)

But for me the moral of the story is, whether its coins, Star Wars toys, or anything else; if you've bought it, enjoy it however you see fit.  

Arthgoch: which part of South Wales are you from? I was burying some treasure in the hills on the weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally from Cardiff but have lived on the edge of the Beacons national park for the last 18 years.

So, I decided to open them. Took one out of the plastic bags but couldn't work out how to take it out of the hard plastic casing. There was plastic in front and behind as far as I could see. Took me 2 days to work out that there is no plastic in front of the coin so shiny it was. Anyway now it has my finger marks over it after me trying to find out how to open the phantom plastic :-/

So, I decided to open them. Took one out of the plastic bags but couldn't work out how to take it out of the hard plastic casing. There was plastic in front and behind as far as I could see. Took me 2 days to work out that there is no plastic in front of the coin so shiny it was. Anyway now it has my finger marks over it after me trying to find out how to open the phantom plastic :-/

Ha ha, I did tell you they were just pressed in.

I have taken quite a few out of their cards.

Get the finger marks off with distilled water immediately or they will burn in.

Stacker since 2013

:) Yes I know.. I thought I might have a special kind of card where the coin is encased. How do I clean the marks off? I can make distilled water but wouldn't know how to go about cleaning

Cotton wool ball with distilled water on it and dab, don't wipe.

It's usually enough to clear the finger grease / oils.

If you use distilled, it's best to air dry as you won't get spots. That or dab with a microfibre to dry.

Stacker since 2013

Archived