• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

New Product on the Market: The Pocket Pinger Coin Tester - Updated

I came across the Pocket Pinger on YouTube last night, and found it quite interesting.   The inventor (?) claims you are able to detect real vs fake by using this device.   Check out the website link below, he shows a demonstration of the product:

Coin Ping Test - Sound Money Metals

2 YouTube videos that demonstrate the Pocket Pinger in action:

Stack Stick - Limited Supplies Available at Launch - YouTube

Ping Test - The Shiny Pingy Fake - YouTube

My initial thoughts on the product:

Pro: Cheap and affordable testing device.   Quick and easy test to determine validity of the coin or bar before you buy.   

Con: May not work perfectly with 9999 (as per inventor's comments in video).  Need to be familiar with pings and be able to hear the different frequencies that relate to valid metals.  Does not replace other testing methods to confirm validity of precious metals.

As the product is currently at the pre-order stage, I have no way to determine if this product works as well as the inventor claims.   Based on the videos alone, there is no reason to doubt his claim.  This product is ideal if you buy 2nd hand coins or bars at your local coin shop, or you are browsing at a car boot and something catches your eye.   Since I predominantly buy brand new uncirculated bullion from my bullion dealer, this device isn't something I really need.   But I may get one just for the novelty of it all, as well as having another tool in my toolbox for testing precious metals.   What do you think?   Is this something you are interested in getting?   

Edited by SilverStorm

Update to the Pocket Pinger (PP).  Inventor has put out a disclaimer, saying the product may cause marks on your coin.  In his YouTube video, he states the following:

The Pocket Pinger is intended for use with coins/bars you comfortably handle only - USE AT OWN RISK I was pinging a proof coin Friday night and I saw a tiny oil smudge after use so I decided to exhale on the coin as an attempt to gently press into it and dab it away and to my surprise the entire spot where contact was made was visible. I was able to dab it away with a soft cotton cloth but in the process put a tiny scratch on the proof surface from a tiny side motion. Proofs are officially completely off of the useable coins, no exceptions. I decided to try the experiment on an ASE straight from a Mint Tube and as you can see in the video the spot is totally visible when you exhale on the coin. In other words. Even if no contact point is visible, contact was definitely made. I don’t know a way around this other than just not using the device or be willing wipe it away after use. Literally didn’t see this coming. I put a lot of thought into this Friday night and all day Saturday and woke this morning and made the video. I’m super embarrassed by this. Also, super grateful I found this so I can share it with you all before you got one, or if you still decide to get one. I live, eat, breath, sleep the Pocket Pinger and I'm still learning about it. Moving forward, I’ll be making an extra effort to make sure everyone is aware of all the risks, not just this newly found one. I really want you guys to be happy with this thing. If any questions come up let me know. Happy Hunting.

link: (1) Pocket Pinger - Use At Own Risk - YouTube

Near end of video, he points out 5 things you should be aware of before using the PP.   They are the following:

1)Do not use PP on pure gold, will definitely dent it if hit hard

2) Do not use PP on proof coins

3) Repeats warning above, if contact with PP is made with a coin, will leave invisible contact marks

4) Do not use on beautiful toned coins, as it may remove toning/patina

5) Dusty or oily coins will show a clean spot or smudge mark after use

I give the guy two thumbs up for transparency and honesty.   Watch the video in the link for his detailed explanation (5 minutes 46 seconds long).   The Pocket Pinger is still useful if you don't care about potential contact marks, dents, or smudging on the tested coin.   If you treat bullion as just a lump of silver or gold with no other value than it's metal sell/melt price, this product may be right for you.   As the saying goes, caveat emptor (let the buyer beware).

• SilverStorm changed the title to New Product on the Market: The Pocket Pinger Coin Tester - Updated