• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Card payment didn't go through

Actually I wanted to reply to a topic that is now locked because I had a similar issue recently. I tried to pay via card but the card payment failed. The question whether a contract is formed depends on what is stated and klicked on, before that.

The bank called me the next day, fraud prevention team or so, "someone tried to make a payment to Atkinsons Jewellery, was that you?" No extraordinary amount but anyway, that's what they did.

In my case, at Atkinson, I had agreed to make the purchase before I chose the payment method. Also, straight after the card payment had failed, a message popped up that I have to pay within 48 hours with a different method.
So I did, via bank transfer, a bit more than 48 hours later as I was abroad during that period and it was the weekend but I had emailed Atkinson, telling them I would pay on Tuesday (or Monday, can't recall it now), so I did and there was no issue (The order was placed on Friday).

I really can't remember now if you always agree to make the purchase before you choose the payment method, maybe sometimes or even most of the times you choose the payment method first and make the final agreement about the purchase then.

In any case, if I had bought somewhere else in the meantime and got a demand from the first company to buy the gold bar now, I would try find out if it was stated (and approved by clicking) that an agreement about the purchase was made. And if it was, clearly it wasn't highlighted as well as it could be. So I would try to negotiate a friendly solution.

For example:
"I will mention on the silver forum your good will, plus I have found a glitch on your webpage, so you can improve it and avoid similar issues in the future" (the lack of highlighting at what point the contract is formed -  from the dealer's point of view it might be obvious but when you are making a card payment that fails it distresses some people, thus the high-lightening should probably be ridiculously bold, from the dealer's perspective)

Generally for dealers once you agree to buy then the contract is in place at the agreed price. It is not unusual for dealers to have to do checks on buyers etc. before funds are exchanged. Any doubts read their terms or contact them. Understandably from the dealers view you are buying a commodity that varies in price quickly so they need to fix a price at point of sale along with the agreement to pay.

Archived