• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hallmark Identification Required

Discoverer

Hi Guys, 

I was wondering if i could get some help to identify a hallmark on a silver salver that I have. The mark has been worn over time and is not easy to see, I can make out an "N" and the lion. I did think the shield was from Chester (a sword erect between three wheat). Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

Sam

20191116_172529.jpg

This is Sterling silver. The second mark with the lion tells me that.

The marks are quite worn. It looks like a Chester hallmark - a bit unusual. That assay office has closed down. This is the third hallmark on your piece.  Chester town mark from 1680 to 1961

The year mark - this is a square shape with chamfered corners. I am not sure if there is a little pip, point or whatever it is in the bottom edge.

The letter makes me think N.

The last year mark for Chester was M in 1962. The 1913 and 1938 N's are nothing like this N assuming it is an N.

So then we are looking at 1896 - the overall shape of the letter and surround matches but there is no point at the bottom of the surround. Looking at the other marks i would say on balance it is 1896 and there isn't a point in the middle of the bottom edge of the letter surround.

chester509bis.jpg

i don't know what the maker's mark is - it is too worn for me to work out but you have more of an idea now.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

3 minutes ago, Seasider said:

According to my book the 1896/7 letter does have a pointy bit at the bottom of the surround so I'd say @sixgun has got the right year.

Interesting - i think factoring in the other hallmarks on the piece with that letter the 1896 date is the one. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

No the horse's head doesn't help me but it does give more detail on the piece which certainly gives the feel of an older piece.
The year stamp is certainly an N and now we can see the small point of the shield - @Seasider says his information is the 1896 year stamp for Chester has that point to the shield year stamp surround. - so that confirms the match.

The maker's mark - the far left one looks like it is a shield. It also gives me the indication there were four letters inside the shield. 

There are lists of maker's marks registered with the Chester assay office. So you are looking for a shield shaped maker's mark with 4 letters in that was registered before 1896 with the Chester assay office.

https://www.925-1000.com/dlChester2.html#M

The only one i can see that was registered before 1896, has a shield and 4 letters is John and William Deakin, registered mark 1888 - the details i can see on your piece isn't enough for me to say it is or it isn't. 

Archived