• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Austrian-Hungarian Silver

Deborah

Hi all,

Been trying to identify this crest for years and no luck.

These platters have been in our family for over 75 years and are said to come from an Austrian-Hungarian Palace before being raided by the Germans.

We have been unable to verify this story nor can we find any source to identify the crest.

Looking for some help!

Deborah

pl3.jpg

pl4.jpg

plate1.jpg

FullSizeRender.jpg

i doubt the engraving will have anything to do with the silverware maker which is why you have been unsuccessful tracking it down.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Antal Bachruch (A. Bachruch) was one of the Royal contributor, an important silver and jewelry retailer and importer in Budapest.

The Diana head was used in very short period in the 19th century of the Austrian-Hungarian empire (k.u.k. Monarchie). The number tells you the silver content (1: 950 silver, 2: 900, 3: 800...)

Did not check the crest yet. Maybe later.

Perhaps you can find more with German terms:

• k.u.k / kuk for Austrian-Hungary empire
  • Silber (silver)
  • Diana Kopf / Dianakopf (Diana head), Punze / Punzierung (hall mark)
  • Bachruch / Antal Bachruch / A. Bachruch
  • Platte / Tablett / Silberplatte / Silbertablett (silver plate)

Thanks or your response!

I have researched Bachruch and the silver extensively but have been unable to identify the crest, that is what I am specifically seeking.

I have searched thousands of family crests and heraldry available through Austrian and Hungarian databases and this is not on file. I am curious as to whom this was made for and have run out of leads.

Hoping this site might provide new info.

Thanks again for your suggestions!

It might be meant to be a turks head on the sword given the moustache and what looks like it might be meant to be a turban?  The sword also looks scimitar like.

Turks heads on swords are fairly common in SE europe given the history they have with the ottoman empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turk_head_(heraldry)

Given wiki says sometimes a whole garrison of troops was given a coat of arms to share it may be almost impossible to tie it to one person or family

From

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hungarian_heraldry

"Due to great demand of soldiers during the wars against the Turks in the 16th and 17th centuries, sometimes a whole garrison of 80 to 120 soldiers was raised to nobiliary rank, being granted one coat of arms for all of them to share."

Good luck in finding any further information about this anyway.  Is there a governing body for heraldic arms in Hungary?  Maybe you'd have to write to them and then visit or pay for someone to search through records?

Archived