• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NGC Certified Rolls

Serendipity

I know this might be old news to most collectors but this is the first time that I’ve seen these NGC Certified Rolls. It’s certainly a smart move on the part of NGC for collectors like myself who dislike slabbed coins but have no objections to coins in tubes. I’m especially interested in how the plastic containers can store 20 Chinese Silver Pandas without their original capsules. I’ve never seen Pandas stacked like that before. They are usually sold in Panda trays rather than rolls or tubes.

Panda trays can accommodate only 15 Pandas but take up more space than mint tubes which can hold up to 25 coins. Collectors have quickly caught on to the fact that the same amount of Pandas can be squeezed into an American air-tite tube and that’s my preferred stacking method. In fact, some American coin dealers now provide the collector the option of either a tray or tube of Pandas. More adventurous collectors stack 20 Pandas per tube by encapsulating them in air-tites.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading/holders/certified-rolls/

24E23CD3-764C-4464-98D2-EF8014BAF3D1.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Silverclown said:

What so you buy ms coins in rolls?

I’ve seen just a few NGC Certified Rolls on eBay but no rolls of Pandas. Not much variety there. The seller is MCM, a major American bullion dealer. I don’t know if the concept of certified rolls is still brand new to most collectors or there’s not that big a market for them as there is for slabbed coins.

48 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

What does "Gem Uncirculated" mean? Is it a grade?

All of the NGC Certified Rolls that I’ve seen on eBay are graded “Gem Uncirculated”. For the purposes of the NGC Registry, a coin graded as Gem Uncirculated would be translated as an MS65. Unfortunately, when you try to register this coin it will fail because it has not been assigned a numeric grade.

44 minutes ago, Serendipity said:

All of the NGC Certified Rolls that I’ve seen on eBay are graded “Gem Uncirculated”. For the purposes of the NGC Registry, a coin graded as Gem Uncirculated would be translated as an MS65. Unfortunately, when you try to register this coin it will fail because it has not been assigned a numeric grade.

ModernCoinMart sells many of these certified rolls.  Here is an example, and it has more detail on the GEM grade (essentially what you said....65 or higher).  I have no way to prove this as accurate, but my assumption has always been that MCM sends in many coins to NGC, they slab the 69s and 70s, and the rest go in these tubes!

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/certified-roll-of-20-2017-great-britain-1-oz-silver-britannia-20th-anniversary-trident-privy-2-ngc-gem-uncirculated-exclusive-britannia-label.html

7 minutes ago, Lr103 said:

ModernCoinMart sells many these certified rolls.  Here is an example, and it has more detail on the GEM grade (essentially what you said....65 or higher).  I have no way to prove this as accurate, but my assumption has always been that MCM sends in many coins to NGC, they slab the 69s and 70s, and the rest go in these tubes!

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/certified-roll-of-20-2017-great-britain-1-oz-silver-britannia-20th-anniversary-trident-privy-2-ngc-gem-uncirculated-exclusive-britannia-label.html

You might be right about MCM because I don’t see APMEX selling any certified rolls despite all their slabbed coins.

Archived