• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Does the trade war between the USA and China make the silver price rise?

TheSilverSurfer

9 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

Maybe. But here's my question what would an oz of silver be worth? Today you could sell an oz for about £20. Do you think an oz, if the economy has collapsed will it get you the same amount of food, fuel, or accommodation? Will people want silver or something else?

I learnt to stop putting "FIAT" pricing against PM's a while back - - just look at Venezuela - - you could now buy a Mansion for (lets say) 20 ounces of silver - cos said owner has a another house to live in but with 20 ounces he can feed the family for 6 months and buy guns and ammo  - because the "FIAT" is structurally worthless but pms can cross borders easily accepted everywhere!

IMHO

Added 0 minutes later...

ITS THE PURCHASING POWER!

49 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

I learnt to stop putting "FIAT" pricing against PM's a while back - - just look at Venezuela - - you could now buy a Mansion for (lets say) 20 ounces of silver - cos said owner has a another house to live in but with 20 ounces he can feed the family for 6 months and buy guns and ammo  - because the "FIAT" is structurally worthless but pms can cross borders easily accepted everywhere!

IMHO

Added 0 minutes later...

ITS THE PURCHASING POWER!

I come from Zimbabwe so well aware of currency hyperinflation. And granted if you bought silver and then the £ went the same way, then you could likely trade that silver for dollars as you leave the county. But you won't to be able to sell it in the UK.

People didn't use silver in Zim, they did use gold incredibly briefly, but mainly it was the US dollar. In fact there's not much evidence of people using silver in to purchase things in Venezuela. Gold maybe but not silver. 

Original question was will a trade war push up the price of silver. Answer, in my opinion, is no. If anything it'll lower it in the long term as the world's 2 largest economies slowing down will bring us all down. 

1 minute ago, Notafront4adragon said:

People didn't use silver in Zim, they did use gold incredibly briefly, but mainly it was the US dollar

And if/when the "DOLLAR" fails ??  = Venezuela WORLDWIDE! until the reset is done  , either the Yuan, Renminbi or a new gold standard!

2 minutes ago, SilverSid said:

Silver Follows gold in times of market unrest - just like we’ve seen over the last month where it has outperformed gold.  The rise in last month has nothing to do with industrial demand as world economy is slowly across all quarters - the rise in silver price is because people are putting their money in silver ETFs.

Totally agree @SilverSid - but IMHO -  paper is "false" representation of whichever pm - so as such its purely for trading against a load of others for "FIAT" crud - - you will never get the physical metal by swapping an etf! FACT!

2 minutes ago, SilverSid said:

Completely agree and I always hold the physical - but without the etf’s you don’t get the price movements so stackers do need them in order to time their exit strategy if flipping back into gold once the GSR tightens

You think exactly the same way I do !  Excellent analysis @SilverSid

Acording to this article the reason goldprices fell in the start af the 2007/2008 recession, is that the banks had spend all their money, then they borrowed gold and dumped it in the marked to make money to keep the banks from going bankrupt. 

When the banks dumped all the borrowd gold in the marked, prices fell because supply exeeded demand. 

After the 2007 recession the laws have changed demanding that banks should have more funds to keep them above water if a new recession sets in. 

Therefore some say that when the next recession sets in, we will not se a drop in gold/silver prices, because the banks Are better financially ready to meet a new crisis.

https://www.goldrepublic.com/news/why-gold-prices-fell-in-2008

Archived