• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Proof or BU?

blindguy

First off I think silver will hit $25 to $35 a ounce in the next 5 years so is it a bad idea to buy proof silver coins at a premium?  I still buy bullion but proof eagles, kookaburras, onza, koala and so on trade above melt so when silver go up so should the proof coins. Here I can buy proof 69 deep cameo eagles in NGC or PCGS slab's for $30 to $35 at auction. In the last silver boom (2011) I sold proof eagles at $75 each And when my wife looks at our silver she prefers the proofs over bullion silver. So should a person have 1/4 of their stack in proof coins?   What do you think?

On 28/06/2019 at 05:24, blindguy said:

First off I think silver will hit $25 to $35 a ounce in the next 5 years so is it a bad idea to buy proof silver coins at a premium?  I still buy bullion but proof eagles, kookaburras, onza, koala and so on trade above melt so when silver go up so should the proof coins. Here I can buy proof 69 deep cameo eagles in NGC or PCGS slab's for $30 to $35 at auction. In the last silver boom (2011) I sold proof eagles at $75 each And when my wife looks at our silver she prefers the proofs over bullion silver. So should a person have 1/4 of their stack in proof coins?   What do you think?

Actually it's your concern how to spend your own money. We can advice but you decide. Thoughts on proofs vary, some think it's a great investment (especially graded ones), others believe that silver is silver no mater proof it or BU, it still comprises the same weight of silver. I don't support the idea of buying overpriced mainstream colourful proofs like Simpsons as they don't bear any collectors value for me. Only time can show whether it's advantageous buying proofs or not. But having a small precent of your metals in proofs is a good way to test this hypothesis.

Royal Mint silver proofs have historically gone down in price for the majority of coins. You can pick up silver proof sets for not a lot over spot, even the early very low mintage Britannia 4 coin silver proof sets can be had for around £100. Taking account of inflation they work out as a loss on the original selling price.....

Proof coins are somewhat insulated from the spot price but i think the market for them is relatively small. Seeing as demand is the biggest factor in determining a things value then there is not a lot of scope for profits. Sometimes though things become more desirable for unfathomable reasons.

I treat bullion coins and proof coins as completely different animals. Bullion is for salting away a few pennies when i can and proofs are for me to enjoy.

Archived