• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Interest in a Silver Coin Secret Santa?

doogs

Silver Coin Secret Santa  

3 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to participate in a Silver Coin Secret Santa?

• Yes please, sign me up!
    • No thanks

Just wondering if members would be interested in a Silver Coin Secret Santa?

For those who don't know what it is or how it would work, I've set out a suggestion below. I am, by no means, an expert in these things but I've seen it on other forums and thought it might be a cool thing leading up to Xmas.

I'm suggesting this is based on a 1oz Silver Coin (see further details below).

What is it? (From Wikipedia)

Secret Santa is a western Christmas tradition is which members of a group or community are randomly assigned a person to whom they anonymously give a gift. Often practised in workplaces or amongst large families, participation in it is usually voluntary. It offers a way for many people to give and receive a gift at low cost, since the alternative gift tradition is for each person to buy gifts for every other person. In this way, the Secret Santa tradition also encourages gift exchange groups whose members are not close enough to participate in the alternative tradition of giving presents to everyone else.

How would it work?

1. Everyone who wants to take part would submit their username and a postal address by private message (PM) to the Secret Santa organiser by a pre-determined date (more to follow in the potential rules below). I am not suggesting that it has to be me who is organiser but, I am happy to co-ordinate this if, say, a moderator doesn't want to organise.

2. On the closing date, the Secret Santa organiser would randomly draw names of the participants and assign them to other participants.

3. The Organiser would inform the participants (by PM), who they are to send their gift to.

4. Participants would need to send their gift by a certain date (the sending date). I would suggest by registered post.

5. Participants receive their gift before Christmas and we all post on the forum thanking each other for our great gifts, hopefully ensuring a great time for all and adding something different to our stacks!

Potential / Suggested rules

I would suggest the following:

1. I am suggesting the gift be a 1oz Silver coin from your own personal collection, rather than going out and buying something specific.

2. Gift should be something you would appreciate if it was given to you (i.e., not a shabby milk spotted Maple).

3. Gift of no more than say 40 GBP value. This covers things like older Pandas, Kookaburras, etc. but not expecting Silver Proofs. Again this could be up for debate.

4. Only open to forum members with a post count of more than 50 say? Open to further suggestions but I think it would be important to ensure it wasn't a free for all.

5. Restrict participants to UK only? Controversial I know but, avoids someone unfairly being stung with higher postage charges and the inevitable delays that come with international postage.

6. Closing date for participating midnight on Saturday 29 November?

7. Organiser informs everyone of their gift recipient by Monday 1 December?

8. Participants post out the gifts by Monday 8 December?

So what do you say fellow forum members? Is this a good idea or a logistical nightmare fraught with danger?

Comments, suggestions, debate, ridicule - what do you think?

Cheers,

Doogs.

Archived