• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

German silver marks

avomaa

I have very nice tea pot and I have thought it is of cource silver. But now I m no more so sure. It is from German, Berlin and made by Humbert & son. S it was made after 1820. But there are no marks of silver content and that is why I am worried about. In the bottom of the pot there is zig-zag line drawn and one strange mark that I do not know. Any help??

SAKSAL KAHVIKANNU LEIMAT (1).JPG

The zig zag line is the place where silver has been taken to be checked for content (called a Tremulierstich - some silver has been taken from here). Here is a similar piece.

I believe to the left we have the bear, standing for Berlin. Wikipedia (did not check the english version) tells me that the city mark would guarantee a minimum fineness of 12 Lot (with 16 Lot being 1000 of 1000).

The city mark guarantees that silver content of 750. If the content would be higher, the piece would carry an additional stamp.

Not an expert, but that is what I make from it...

Archived