• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

First purchase of old silver coins

StackingItAll

Willike, I'm not as familiar with the non-U.S. coins, but the quarters are (potentially) silver as long as they are dated below 1965 (1964 or earlier).

I only write "potentially" due to the possibility of fakes.

A good price is 10$us per 1$us face value for 90% U.S. silver, but upwards of 12.50$us per 1$us face are prices I see on the street, so by that measure I'd be cautious paying over approximately 3.15$us per U.S. 90% quarter at current prices, and down around 2.50$us - 2.75$us per quarter .. well, that's a lovely price worth smiling about, just my opinion.

Btw, love the nod to Moorcock/Elric ...

For Canadian coins (10, 25, 50cents & $1) anything 1967 and below is 80% silver. I think some 1968 25 and 50 cent coins are 50% silver but you'd need to do some searching to check. If you go back further pre 1922 5 cent coins were .925 as were some of the others. Those older coins have more of a premium though. You can get the coins from the 60's essentially at spot price fairly easily especially the dollars.

23 minutes ago, Lowlow said:

Willike, I'm not as familiar with the non-U.S. coins, but the quarters are (potentially) silver as long as they are dated below 1965 (1964 or earlier).

I only write "potentially" due to the possibility of fakes.

A good price is 10$us per 1$us face value for 90% U.S. silver, but upwards of 12.50$us per 1$us face are prices I see on the street, so by that measure I'd be cautious paying over approximately 3.15$us per U.S. 90% quarter at current prices, and down around 2.50$us - 2.75$us per quarter .. well, that's a lovely price worth smiling about, just my opinion.

Btw, love the nod to Moorcock/Elric ...

Big fan of Stormbringer books :) quarter is 43 so looks good thanks :)

13 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

For Canadian coins (10, 25, 50cents & $1) anything 1967 and below is 80% silver. I think some 1968 25 and 50 cent coins are 50% silver but you'd need to do some searching to check. If you go back further pre 1922 5 cent coins were .925 as were some of the others. Those older coins have more of a premium though. You can get the coins from the 60's essentially at spot price fairly easily especially the dollars.

Canadian is a 62 so happy with that :) thanks:) the half crown is 1920 so not sure if that's 925 or .500 after 1919. 

Added 0 minutes later...
30 minutes ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

Always love to see a silver Canadian Voyageur dollar :D

Now I know what it is lol cheers 

1 minute ago, Willike said:

Big fan of Stormbringer books :) quaquarter is 43 so looks good thanks :)

The first time I ever ran across Elric was as a child, my friends and I played Dungeons and Dragons, and one of the books was "Dieties and Demigods".  That book had a section in it for a variety of pantheons of Gods from around the world, and one of those were the fictional characters in the Moorcock books, including Elric.

dd9.jpg

As an aside, back then, in the 1980's, the religious right in the United States was vehemently against that game, it was a big topic of conversation at the time ... TSR and Gary Gygax were corrupting the youth of America, ministers in churches literally held sermons against the game.

My friends and I, being children, of course we started playing with wooden swords we had cut from tree branches, and I walked around with Stormbringer for an entire summer lol.

Later I read the books and really enjoyed them.

Then, of course, there are the huge number of cultural references to Elric throughout the world ... including its effects on music, I remember this Blue Oyster Cult song from when I was young, which was literally written by Michael Moorcock.

During that time too, we got the movie "Heavy metal" which is based on Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion", you can see his thinking in the entire story arc of that movie.  Anyone who hasn't seen that movie is missing out on a good bit of culture.

Sorry for derailing your thread! lol .. good stuff

2 minutes ago, Lowlow said:

The first time I ever ran across Elric was as a child, my friends and I played Dungeons and Dragons, and one of the books was "Dieties and Demigods".  That book had a section in it for a variety of pantheons of Gods from around the world, and one of those were the fictional characters in the Moorcock books, including Elric.

dd9.jpg

As an aside, back then, in the 1980's, the religious right in the United States was vehemently against that game, it was a big topic of conversation at the time ... TSR and Gary Gygax were corrupting the youth of America, ministers in churches literally held sermons against the game.

My friends and I, being children, of course we started playing with wooden swords we had cut from tree branches, and I walked around with Stormbringer for an entire summer lol.

Later I read the books and really enjoyed them.

Then, of course, there are the huge number of cultural references to Elric throughout the world ... including its effects on music, I remember this Blue Oyster Cult song from when I was young, which was literally written by Michael Moorcock.

During that time too, we got the movie "Heavy metal" which is based on Michael Moorcock's "Eternal Champion", you can see his thinking in the entire story arc of that movie.  Anyone who hasn't seen that movie is missing out on a good bit of culture.

Sorry for derailing your thread! lol .. good stuff

Hey happy for you to derail to talk about Elric,Michael Moorcock and Stormbringer haha I discovered back in days of playing Cyber punk etc found the rule book to Stormbringer Role Playing and followed up by starting the novels. Just recently started purchasing them all again. Have you ever listened to Hawkwind Chronicle of the Black sword? Whole album is about Elric also the live album actually has Moorcock reading from the books on it :)

4 minutes ago, Willike said:

Hey happy for you to derail to talk about Elric,Michael Moorcock and Stormbringer haha I discovered back in days of playing Cyber punk etc found the rule book to Stormbringer Role Playing and followed up by starting the novels. Just recently started purchasing them all again. Have you ever listened to Hawkwind Chronicle of the Black sword? Whole album is about Elric also the live album actually has Moorcock reading from the books on it :)

I have heard of Hawkwind, but I admit I hadn't heard their music ... it's simply that I hadn't taken time to really sit down and listen to them.  I will definitely do that!

There is a great piece on Youtube (somewhere, I can't seem to find it at the moment or I would post a link) of Moorcock reading about the dream couches that I remember and love.

31 minutes ago, Lowlow said:

I have heard of Hawkwind, but I admit I hadn't heard their music ... it's simply that I hadn't taken time to really sit down and listen to them.  I will definitely do that!

There is a great piece on Youtube (somewhere, I can't seem to find it at the moment or I would post a link) of Moorcock reading about the dream couches that I remember and love.

Definitely check out Chronicles of the Black sword for the Elric stuff the  the Lemmy stuff lol 

Added 0 minutes later...
7 minutes ago, Goldhooked said:

Its .500

Up to and including 1919 is .925 and 1920 - 1946 inclusive is .500

Perfect thank you lots learned from this thread alone

Archived