• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Hallmark/makers mark question

Michelle4997

Hi, hoping you all can help me identify the marks on this small knife, the set is just knives and forks, fruit knives and forks?

I'm a complete novice at IDing and have had a brief look in a book of hallmarks with no luck.  I'm in Australia, could they be Australian made silver plate or sterling silver?

The handles are mother of pearl I think. Thanks!

20180407_181154.jpg

20180407_201817.jpg

20180407_201840.jpg

I think F & M S BP could stand for:

Fortum & Mason, Sheffield, British Plate, alternative name for EPNS (electro-plated nickle silver). Sheffield was the centre of cultery making years back. This looks like it could be part of a set in a wooden box, possibly a fruit knife... can't tell how large it is from the picture but with mother of pearl handles, unlikely to be a main meal knife. Could also be a side plate or butter knife, but butter knives usually have rounded ends.

Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, Michelle4997 said:

i, hoping you all can help me identify the marks on this small knife, the set is just knives and forks, fruit knives and forks?

I'm a complete novice at IDing and have had a brief look in a book of hallmarks with no luck.  I'm in Australia, could they be Australian made silver plate or sterling silver?

The handles are mother of pearl I think. Thanks!

Let's cut straight to it.

You want to know the value.

@Ollie1016 

@augur

@caloundracats

Thanks everyone, the story handed down via my husbands family is that the knife & fork set (I think fruit knife/fork too) was a gift from Captain Arthur Phillip (sailed the First Fleet to Australia in 1788) to his 'secretary'. Of whom my husband is descended!! There goes that yarn.

As for it's value @LittleJohnSilver, we have about 4 knives and forks, so I would imagine not much value??

Thanks again, you all make it seem so logical!

Archived