• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Antique silver hip flasks

Does anyone have or use an antique hip flask? if so I have some questions I hope you might help me with.

I bought a couple of silver hip flasks (one Victorian 1893 and one George V 1915), I don't usually use them but I've decided to give one a go. So here are my concerns:

1. Should I even do it.

2. Should I clean inside and if so how.

3. Do I need to replace the cork In the lid if do how.

Thanks in advance 

Just now, SimplySilver said:

Do you have experience/knowledge of replacing cork seals with rubber? I don't want to loose an £800 of potential investments by messing with original features.

Not without seeing it. I imagine the cork has been glued into a groove in the stopper part? If the cork is removed then you would need a rubber seal to replace the cork, or even glue on a piece of thick rubber band.

The thing to watch out for would be making sure you didn’t put a dent in the wrong place.

Have ou a couple of pictures of the stopper you could put up?

Yeah, you need to sterilise them .. something at least like the baby stuff … Milton 

seeing how the cork is, it may work ok if it has been soaked, but sterilise the whole thing in a bowl so inside and the cork is sterilised.

dry off and let the cork dry 

then try it with water in, the cork may work ok

remember, these have been left laying round a long time🤔😮

Apparently you are supposed to not let the cork dry out, always keep booze topped up or keep the flask on its side when not being carried. After a few hours soaking now they only leak if squeezed. 

Have you replaced or seen cork replaced before?