• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help to identify hallmarks on a Victorian(?) gold ring

Gennaro

To anyone can help me identify hallmarks on a ring I purchased from a seller who told me it is from Victorian age.

The ring has inside the hallmarks  you can see in the attached images:  

Searching on the web, I think I understood that the Crown and the Number 18 should stand for 18 carats gold.

While the 3rd mark should refer to the assay office, but I’m not able to understand what it represents and to what assay office it belongs. Can you give me any indication on this?

The 4th mark, the letter T, I think it refers to the year.

Then there is a 5th mark JH which I’ve no idea what it refers to.

I’ll be grateful to anyone can help me with the identification of these hallmarks and I thank you in advance for your attention.

Gennaro

IMG_5951_1.JPG

IMG_5952_1.JPG

The leopard is the London mark - the 18 is 18 ct - the T looks like 1894
The JH - this is the maker's mark - there are a number of JH's - it could be this JH who is John Hawley & Son of Cow Lane, Coventry. They were registered in 1887 so it could be them. i don't feel especially confident about the maker but it looks right.

JH-JohnHawley.jpg

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Thank you very much for your answer, sixgun.

I was not really sure about the London mark, due to lacking of any detail in the leopard, but effectively the shape matches.

Also the year you mention is compatible with the one the seller told me (1860 -1870's).

Can you suggest me any link or other source were I can learn more about these hallmarks?

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Gennaro

I can't answer the question but don't think it's London 1894 as the T is in a different  "frame". Ones a shield the other an octagon. Interesting thread though and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to solve this. Also not sure about the makers mark but would have thought a Coventry goldsmith would have got it hallmarked in Birmingham?20230415_081438.thumb.jpg.1c7ec2527739fd0e4ef85c11a871eac7.jpg

@Subspecies the date is definately 1894, you're looking at silver marks and these are gold marks. The date letter cartouche (the box that the letter is in) can be a different shape for gold.

I think @sixgun could be right about the JH being John Hawley, it's the best match I can find as well (but I'm not 100% sure) and although he was from Coventry, his mark was registered at the London assay office. 

Edited by Mobius

4 hours ago, Subspecies said:

I can't answer the question but don't think it's London 1894 as the T is in a different  "frame". Ones a shield the other an octagon. Interesting thread though and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to solve this. Also not sure about the makers mark but would have thought a Coventry goldsmith would have got it hallmarked in Birmingham?

The 'frame' you mention not being right - the surrond for gold marks is a square with chamferred corners for all years for all assay offices in England. It isn't like silver which is different shapes for different letter series. i don't remember exactly how long this has been the case for gold but i do remember it has been way back into Queen Victoria's reign. It is confusing when we are much more familiar with silver marks. Look at all the gold marks - all of them are squares with chamferred corners - all years and all assay offices in England.

0582645465dab612736d1a89f563d4f0.jpg
This Coventry maker had his mark registered in London. Perhaps he got a better deal, perhaps he thought it carried more weight, perhaps he was selling product in the London area - whatever he had his mark registered in London.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

7 hours ago, Gennaro said:

Thank you very much for your answer, sixgun.

I was not really sure about the London mark, due to lacking of any detail in the leopard, but effectively the shape matches.

Also the year you mention is compatible with the one the seller told me (1860 -1870's).

Can you suggest me any link or other source were I can learn more about these hallmarks?

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Gennaro

https://www.silvercollection.it/dictionarydecryptingUKsterlingmarks.html is a good source - mainly for silver.
Sources of information for gold are fewer but it is possible to work things out.
Google silver hallmarks UK or gold hallmarks UK - you can also google London hallmarks, Birmingham hallmarks, Sheffield...... and so on for the different assay offices.
With silver there are letter series for runs of years - the letter shapes are a different font for each series. The shape in which the hallmarks are set differ between the letter series. This makes it easier to identify the year - you have two things to match up to be sure you have the right year.
Since early in the reign of Queen Victoria all gold marks in England have been inside a square with chamferred corners - this shape does not change between the letter series of the English assay offices (Edinburgh has a slightly different shape). The letters are the same font between gold and silver but the surrounds usually do not match because silver changes with each letter series. So with gold you have to look very closely at the letter font to work out the actual year.  
The hallmarking system in Britain is superb - the most comprehensive in the world - except i think they should have different surrounds for gold hallmarks.

Edited by sixgun

Gold can be very annoying to pin down.

Silver will invariably have a full set: city, date, maker's mark, sterling mark, and depending on the period, the duty mark as well.

Silver Albert chains for example will have links marked with the sterling mark and the other marks on the clasps or T-bar.

Gold Albert chains might simply be stamped 9ct and a city mark, and that's you're lot.

Infuriating to date.