• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any advice?

ConnorGT96

Any advice is appreciated!!

I am new to investing, I’ve recently just started stacking bullion (1x half sov & silver Brit p.m.) in hope that I can release some in if need be for an early pension and for my future children’s inheritance.

I have recently come across index funds, Vanguard in particular but have no clue what on earth I am looking at in regards to the stock market. The annual return rates have caught my eye but I am hesitant whether to open account due to the massive risk in comparison to precious metals.

I’m better off sticking to what I am doing or opting for £100 a month on the vanguard ISA?

I know it’s not good to put all my eggs in one basket and it’s better to diversify but I can literally only afford to do one or the other.

in this for the long haul!!

cheers!

https://monevator.com/category/investing/passive-investing-investing/

Have a good look over this site. A vanguard lifestyle 60/40 or 80/20 is about all most folk need. If you open a SIPP the tax office will automatically add a further £25 to your £100 each month. The vanguard platform charge  practically the lowest fees also which is key. Set up a DD and forget.  

A SIPP is a pension for long term saving which cannot access until aged 57. If you think will need money prior to this better with a stocks and shares ISA. Or could go 50/50 SIPP/ISA

Precious metals are more for asset diversification than a true investment. There’s nothing to stop you grabbing the odd oz of silver occasionally from the sales pages of the forum. A rule of thumb is to have 5 to 10% of portfolio in gold is as protection. 

If you are younger with a long time to save/invest £100 a month is a great start, sticking at it is key. If you are slightly older, like me, well being later is better than never starting at all. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

Archived