• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

NHS Heroes 999 £5 Ping Test

LadySilver

I  have just been playing around with some coins doing ping tests and have come across a dull ring when I expected clarity. 

1st I pinged a sterling commemorative 1oz and got a lovely clear, crisp ring. 

Then I pinged one of the new 999 £5 NHS Heroes EIT coins and got a very dull short ring. No crisp clarity.

So of course out comes the magnet and it slides as expected.....

Has anybody else done a ping test on these coins? Should it be a clear ring, or have I got muddled up?

20210128_193024.jpg

20210128_193032.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The dullness is a function of how crystalline the microstructure of the coin is, which in turn is a function of the production process.

There are authentic coins which sound dull: e.g. Gold Maple Leaf

And there are inauthentic coins which have long sustained pitches.

What's more important to look for is the location of the ping frequencies, not the length of the ping itself. This can be verified with various ping testing apps.

The NHS Heroes coin appears to have the same weight and dimensions as a 1 oz Silver Britannia and should pass as such in any coin testing app.

The frequencies you're looking for should be within 4-5% of these values:

4531 Hz 

10405 Hz

17983 Hz

(The sterling commemorative is a bit trickier to verify without knowing the exact composition and dimensions.)

Archived