• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Any wisdom for someone new to pouring?

Grufflehog

Hello guys

I’m setting up my own tiny silver pouring business at the moment with absolutely no experience. As a bit of a back story I’m a nurse and I caught the dreaded virus off a patient in March and ended up in intensive care. Understanding all the numbers that come up on hospital monitors sometimes isn’t much of a blessing, I very nearly died (I was giving myself 50/50 at one point), the NHS are wonderful though and I know I’m lucky to be here

To be honest the experience has been good for me. It’s made putting money into a little venture much less daunting and despite how much time I’ve spent in end of life care, it’s made me realise that I haven’t got forever to keep putting things off that I’d like to try. I love silver/gold and stacking and I’m really looking forward to starting to work metal

I’m hoping that overtime I can build enough of a turnover so that I can drop a few shifts a month at work. I’ve never worked with my hands before so pretty much have no idea what I’m doing apart from a few vague ideas of lovely shiny things I‘d like to make and that I think other people may enjoy

Ultimately I’m not too worried if it goes no where and I lose some money on it, though obviously I’d like to make a success of it if I can. I want to start with bullion and if I enjoy it enough will probably take some jewellery making courses at a local college

Does anyone have any useful advice from their own experience? Any wisdom you can pass onto me would be greatly appreciated. I’ve registered with the Edinburgh assay office and that seems to have gone smoothly so far

I’d like to know any good places to get silver grain in the U.K.? I have 6kg of bars at the moment so that should keep me busy for a while

What tools people have found useful, especially blowtorches? I was looking at a dremmel versaflame. Also any particular kinds of crucibles that might be better than others?

Also any advice for good places to sell? I was going to make an Etsy and sell here on the forum but are there any other ways people know that I could generate a regular/semi regular cash flow from? eBay makes me quite nervous

thanks in advance :)

Archived