• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Exchanging some silver for gold question(s)

fastlanwan

IN the USA. I'm thinking of exchanging some of my silver for gold. I have both but thinking of slightly altering the ratio I have of each. Has anyone gone to your LCS and exchanged (using gold to silver ratio) silver for gold? 

If so, did the LCS go for a straight up trade or want extra silver or just extra cash to make the deal? If more cash or silver how much?

Last any suggestions on techniques to getting a dealer to make the deal if they have never done so in the past?

Yes I have done this. 

If you are picky about what you want in exchange, you won't get as good a deal. If rather, you accept what coin shop wants to trade, you will get a better deal. 

They are accustomed to people who want to trade. They want to make a profit on the deal. But they do not need to make two profits. There is opportunity for them to profit on buying the silver, and then to profit from sale on gold. But this can be one transaction, and only one profit is needed. The way you can get the best deal is to accept the gold they want to trade to you. 

A useful way to present yourself is to say something like: "Trade this silver for gold bullion." This allows shop to bring out the gold they have in-stock or stuff they can't sell as easily. If the swap seems like there is too much cost to you, then you can say "you only need one profit, right?" In this way, you give what you want to give for silver, and they give what they want in gold. If the swap seems to be too expensive, try another shop. May I suggest you try at a place where you know the price will be too high first, such as a pawn shop or a pawn+coin shop. Then that gives you an idea about what your trade is worth. A better place (true coin shop) will beat that deal with no problem. 

It is likely the trade will require some cash from either party to make the trade even. They are used to doing this and can get the trade down to a few dollars either way.

They will give you a better deal if they have seen you before. However, your primary introduction is your good silver. You got that somehow, yes? Well they are not stupid, and if you take an interest in their shop and coins, they are looking at getting you as a regular customer. So ask them questions that come to mind about what sort of business they have, or ask questions about some of their inventory that interests you.

Archived