• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Couple of questions by an inexperienced flipper

flipstar

I started stacking around 18 months ago. I came from crypto and wanted to put some of my gains into something more secure and slower moving.

So I bought some gold and silver. It did not take long till the collector in me came out and wanted to play as well and I started to pick some semi numismatics as well which I liked.

I was fine paying the premium as I enjoyed having those coins and building my collection. I stayed away from proofs and did not backtrack though as I was not fine paying this much of a premium.

Through several youtube channels I learned about flipping collector coins and now I wanted to get my feed wet in this area.

I never really bought in bulk but the last months I picked up the pace a bit and bought what I think could be a good flip.

I started buying 5 or so with the intention of selling them later for a profit so I can keep one or so for free.

I picked up quite a few from the new "Black Flag" series though which is my biggest purchase by far till today.

My motivation is not really money or free ounces ( which of course is nice ) but furthermore to spice the stacking thing a bit. I always enjoyed collecting and trading a lot.

I tried to do some research how other series did price wise but I am having a hard time doing so as I cant find the price they were going for when they got released.

Also I cant find many series which are finished except the Lunar 1 and 2 for example.

One youtuber also advocates "striking as long as the iron is hot" so going more for the quick flips with most coins. A friend of mine who bought a couple of proof coins a some years ago is sitting on a big lose at the moment if he would sell now so I will probably sticking to the cheaper modern collector coins. I am ok if I loose a bit of potential ounces which I could have bought instead but of course that is not the plan.

It would be a great help if some seasoned flippers/stackers would share a bit of their experience.

How did you build your network for buying and selling?

How do you decide how long to hold a coin? At the moment I use eBay and check some dealer sites what they are going for and type in big orders to see how many they sold since I last checked.

Do you prefer to spread your bets or go deeper into one you think will be a winner?

How did the collectors market changed since you started? Do you feel it is getting smaller? And also faster with seemingly everyday a new series gets released?

How you keep track of new releases?

14 minutes ago, flipstar said:

How did the collectors market changed since you started? Do you feel it is getting smaller? And also faster with seemingly everyday a new series gets released?

The fact that the pace of new releases has grown over the last few years - STRONGLY -suggests that the Suppliers/dealers - see it growing IMHO

19 minutes ago, flipstar said:

I tried to do some research how other series did price wise but I am having a hard time doing so as I cant find the price they were going for when they got released.

Dont worry about what they were at "release" - Its what you paid to purchase the item against what you get for them!

3 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

The fact that the pace of new releases has grown over the last few years - STRONGLY -suggests that the Suppliers/dealers - see it growing IMHO

good point.

But do you think the smaller mintages point to the opposite? Or just making them more exclusive?

3 minutes ago, 5huggy said:

Dont worry about what they were at "release" - Its what you paid to purchase the item against what you get for them!

Make sense.

Thanks for the answers 🙂

1 hour ago, flipstar said:

But do you think the smaller mintages point to the opposite? Or just making them more exclusive?

Mainly so "THEY" have an excuse to charge higher premiums and ensure whole range goes (a way of ensuring clearing of shelves for space for next)

7 minutes ago, Notafront4adragon said:

@flipstar

Just curious where did you buy the Black Flag series from? Are you in the UK? I've just bought some from Apmex and they are as nice as I hoped. The Perth Mint are quality.

was ps-coins.de and https://www.muenzen-engel.de.

Can you order silver without problems from Apmex? Without customs giving you trouble? I am in Germany...actually in Thailand but I use German dealers mostly. Will take a while till I can take a look at them 😞.

Lucky me prices were lower when I ordered

I'm also gonna get some from there too. I've heard good things about them too on this forum. 

Yes apmex was a problem with sending to UK and EU unless you use their eBay store. But you're right problem was with customs so they did workout more. I just wish I was insane enough to get the gold one.

Archived