• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

I'm developing a ping testing app

fearlessjs

Hey guys,

I have to be honest and say that I don't know much about coins and I only have a modest collection. I also realize I haven't posted on here before but I've been lurking around for the last few months. I asked ChrisSilver a while ago if I could post this here, he agreed and I hope that it's still okay (it was quite some time ago).

In short, the reason I'm here is that I've developed an Android app for testing coins but seeing as I'm not knowledgable about coins I could really use some feedback...

I became super interested in the possibility of bringing the ping test to a mobile phone app. A smartphone recording and processing a coin's ping could result in much higher sensitivity and accuracy than using the human ear.

I know there's one or two apps like this out there already, but that hasn't turned me off from working on this myself. I thought I could improve on what's out there by offering a better user experience, supporting more coins and bringing some more credibility to this method by explaining the physics behind it.

In any case, I've reached the point where the app kinda works. But that's on MY phone and MY phone only and with my coins. I could really use some feedback from others out there. Does it work properly on other phones and are the frequency thresholds set correctly?

(I'm also happy to provide more background on the physics involved in the ping test. Why it works, how reliable it is, what a coin's sound is composed of etc. But only if you guys are interested in hearing that :).)

There's also an option in the app to send me a recording. That way I can fine tune the thresholds or add a new coin for you. 

There's a lot to be done still as well, as you'll be able to see. There's no coin images in the app yet for one. Feel free to give me feedback here on the forum. The more honest the better.

You can find the app in public beta on the Google Play store by searching for "Pingcoin" or viewing it here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pingcoin.android.pingcoin

Thanks so much for reading this far! :)

PS
The best way to ping the coin is actually by pinching it in its center with your index finger and thumb and flicking it with a finger from the other hand. 

• 5 months later...

Hey guys,

I hope it's okay to revive this topic. I was getting some feedback that certain coins were not part of the database so I added a submit-a-coin feature to the app. You can record a coin and take a picture and send it to me and once I do some checks, I'll be able to add it to the list. This way I can slowly expand the database of coin recordings.

Here's the link again: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pingcoin.android.pingcoin&hl=en

Archived