• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

'secondary market' silver a good deal?

universalcurrency

Hi all

Has anyone had any experience buying 2nd hand silver rounds or 'secondary market' as HGM or Chards et al call it?

I have been thinking about a change of strategy on my silver purchases as I have rarely seen much premium growth on my collector rounds, therefore instead of buying new could I get a better deal buying 2nd hand from uk dealers?  What sort of condition could I expect as quite often secondary market deals aren't specific on grade, eg milk spots, dents, scratches etc?

Let me know your opinions and personal experiences.

42 minutes ago, universalcurrency said:

Hi all

Has anyone had any experience buying 2nd hand silver rounds or 'secondary market' as HGM or Chards et al call it?

I have been thinking about a change of strategy on my silver purchases as I have rarely seen much premium growth on my collector rounds, therefore instead of buying new could I get a better deal buying 2nd hand from uk dealers?  What sort of condition could I expect as quite often secondary market deals aren't specific on grade, eg milk spots, dents, scratches etc?

Let me know your opinions and personal experiences.

Hi I have brought 4 silver 1oz britiannias from hgm in the past they wasn’t scratched but each one was milked but what can you expect with silver can milk anytime even years later, but might be best to try mints that meant to not be as milky as others 😃 have you looked at the European coin shops as they charge a lot less then then coin shops here as little vat ordering them. 

20 hours ago, Ojay45 said:

Hi I have brought 4 silver 1oz britiannias from hgm in the past they wasn’t scratched but each one was milked but what can you expect with silver can milk anytime even years later, but might be best to try mints that meant to not be as milky as others 😃 have you looked at the European coin shops as they charge a lot less then then coin shops here as little vat ordering them. 

Ive tried stg and coininvest in the past, however I am looking at a post brexit strategy to get low premium silver in the uk, a tall order I know.... Having looked at chards or htg ive seen some attractive deals for 2nd hand however you dont know what you are getting.  Its nice to have some good condition pieces as they would be easier to resell come an unforseen emergency.

As an aside a picked up a bulk load of 1 oz noahs ark rounds for £2 over spot in a local pawnshop. 🤩  Unfortunatly they don't get bullion as a regular occurance but its defenatly worth cheacking them out.

Yeah I do wonder what will happen if anything at all 😄 I like to buy silver crowns aswell sometimes can get them pretty much scrap on eBay and they don’t spot but most at worn at scrap prices which I don’t mind, had a few decent deals but can sell fast the scrap stuff and I guess is a risk of fakes but I’m sure I haven’t had one yet I hope,yeah that’s a real good deal from a pawn shop, I use goldsilver.be got a order the other day which was all good just got some kruggerrands and was all nice,  but some people use them and had problems which you probably know from reading on the forum.

Archived