• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Unrecognizable Hallmarks - if thats what they are!

Beege

Good evening all: This is my first post so please be patients if I do things incorrectly.

Whilst my knowledge on silver is questionable at the best of times, I do know (with help from reference books) how to read hallmarks. However, I have a old coffee/tea pot which I believe to be silver but I simply cannot read the marks. Can somebody advise me on whether they have seen these before and whether my hopes of silver are dashed? I have revered the imaged below in the naive hope it may help!

Many thanks.

Silver Mark 1a.jpg

Silver Mark 1b.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum. 

I'm afraid it's nothing I recognise, but that's not saying alot! It may well be foreign markings as it does not conform to UK hallmarks. Maybe if you posted a picture of the tea/coffee pot it may help. Have you any idea how old it is?

You could test the metal for silver with a rare earth magnet also known as a neodymium magnet (available on ebay and the like) and it should not stick to the metal, but slowly slide down it, not quickly. Of course your pot may be a base metal made to look like silver.

Hope someone can help you.

Thank you for your response Caloundracats, much appreciated. 

I called it a pot, but really I think it is a jug: I've posted a picture but I have not yet fully cleaned it (as you will see). The marking (the images I originally sent) are on the base. I think it is pretty old and I rather like the overall shape. I think the handle has been repaired.

Kind regards

SJug1.jpg

Wow what a lovely jug, more so now it's clean?. Had no idea what Hanau marks were so I've learnt something new (always a good thing) tonight.

You might like to look at these sites, they may or not be helpful. Wouldn't mind owning that jug by the way?

http://www.silvercollection.it/germansilverhallmarks4.html

http://www.ascasonline.org/articolox15.html

Be interested to find out where it's from,  once you find out.

Tis a beautiful thing caloundracats, the shape is so elegant. Might be interesting to identify the elaborate design on the front.

Thank you for the site suggestions, I will have a look and update this thread if I manage to identify anything. The mystery continues...

Archived