• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Firstly sorry if this thread is posted in the wrong forum, if it is it may give you some idea that I'm clueless on what I am doing so would love to get some advice or guidance on how to proceed with my project.

Basically I have had a box containing a few hundred coins from around 1900 - 1960 ish. I've never had the time to actually go through them all until now and had a quick search on the net yesterday to see if a few samples I grabbed had any value. I checked a George V1  1941 Two Shilling and the results went from £1.99 to £172.00 I then checked a Queen Victoria coin and got the same sort of range on values so this left me very confused on what is a true value of a coin. 

So would anyone point me in the right direction of where I can find and trust the information I get to be able to really assess if the coins I have do in fact have any value at all. I did come across a website called the Royal Mint Auction (it was searching on reviews on them that enabled me to find this site) but I'm always sceptical on websites regardless of how posh they look or sound. The Royal Mint Auction says you need to send them a picture of a coin and some info for them to appraise it but as mentioned I have quite a lot of coins - at a guess I'd say in excess of 400! I don't mind putting the work in taking the photos etc but don't want to waste my time either.

Anyway I'd be really grateful if someone could let me know the best way to approach this project.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul 

You should buy yourself Spinks book ''Coins of England and UK pre decimal.  Will give you plenty of information and prices. You do not need the latest version as earlier like 2019 will still give you enough information or what coins are worth something and not so much others.   Look on ebay or amazon for a second hand copy for about £10

Never Chase and Never Regret 

54 minutes ago, PaulAC said:

Many thanks for the advice Spyder - I'll have a look for a copy on ebay as suggested - any views on The Royal Mint auction thing I mentioned?

No, I have never looked at Royal Mint auctions so would not know.  I am surprised that others haven't  posted yet. 

Never Chase and Never Regret 

You would do fine on here for selling however you need to find out the information about your coins. Prices can vary greatly not just with condition but seemingly minor differences such as something missing, the actual date etc. As suggested you need to get a good reference book, but whilst waiting for that why not try some pictures of one or two coins on here?🤔

Thanks Petra I think I need to do a bit of research on the condition of the coins first before posting any pictures but I've already sourced the book Spyder mentioned on ebay so will wait until that arrives.

3 minutes ago, PaulAC said:

Thanks Petra I think I need to do a bit of research on the condition of the coins first before posting any pictures but I've already sourced the book Spyder mentioned on ebay so will wait until that arrives.

Sure you will have fun checking through your coins …. a nice sense of anticipation…🤔