• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help with antique silversmith’s mark

Verdecillo

Hello all,

I am new to here and am already loving this community. I actively collect all kinds of silver and I recently acquired a very nice (and very old) silver cruet set (British silver). I have not been able to identify the maker’s marks… Could someone more knowledgeable help me perhaps?

I have attached some images. The first image is one of the caps on the bottles- I think that they were maybe made by Henry Chawner?? (it is well rubbed, so it is difficult to tell, but the year fits). The second image shows the bottom of the stand- for those I have no idea about the silversmith- it seems it was assayed in London in the year 1772, but a bit of online research yielded nothing on TIDD

If anyone knows or has an idea who that silversmith was, I would be so grateful for any information. Thank you!

5C559F79-9E1D-4F79-AAD7-9DC9466AC8BA.jpeg

FF270E6B-B45F-40BF-9687-04F01B09B538.jpeg

Ah, wow- that is so useful. I had actually seen both “Thomas Daniell” and “Jabez Daniell” in my research results but in the examples that I had found their marks were separate (in single rectangles) and looked different than the one on my object (in script rather than block letters), so I didn’t connect them to this object. And now that you told me, I have been able to do further research and have learned that Jabez Daniell was the father, and he was likely in partnership with his son, Thomas, between 1771 and 1774, so that explains the unusual combined mark on my 1772 piece- it was produced during that short 4-year period when they worked together. 

Thank you so much Mobius! 😃