• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

new here - Engelhard Canadian Type A question

egates

Hi everyone, I'm new here and while I've collected whatever silver and silver coins I happen to find, I have never really done much with what I have. I currently have something that actually appears to be valuable - beyond the spot price. It is an Engelhard Canadian Type A according to the allengelhard site - mine is close to their pic in serial number.

From the site: "1st series ingot in Canadian type ‘A’ variation. The placement of this ingot’s weight/purity stampings and casting dimension are familiar to its 2nd series United States counterpart. Canadian ingots across all weight class are typically observed in 6-digit serial format with purity stamping on left and weight class on right. The initial run of this variety was in a rare 5-digit serial assignment. Based on this ingot’s dimension, we speculate Canada was initially provided with casting moulds used by the United States 3rd series 5-digit ingots at that time for this 1st series of Canadian ingots, as this 1st series also demonstrates the more rounded edges, unlike the 2nd series. Interesting to note the serial font on these ingots are exclusive to this variety, specifically the ‘1’ and ‘3’ numbers."

So this should be a rare 5-digit example. Also, it apparently has <250 mintage and is "Tier 1" in collectability (their rating?) What could I expect for value of this?

On a completed unrelated note, I was exploring the allengelhard site and saw information on Cragwood and was suprised to see that it sat above Ravine Lake. A year or two ago, we were exploring that area while waiting for my son to finish a gig and drove along Lake Road that runs alongside Ravine Lake - and we explored the area above the lake. When I say Lake Road runs alongside the lake, I mean alongside - right there at points - put a wheel wrong and you are going swimming and I'm not sure what you are supposed to do if you encounter oncoming traffic. Very interesting area. I don't remember seeing Cragwood but I would not have known to look for it. Some magnificent houses there.

engelhard.jpg

Archived