• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

To buy or not to buy, that WAS the question.

tpcob303

So, today is my Birthday (shhhhh, please don’t say Happy Birthday I would like to remain 33 for some more time to come). So I’m putting money aside that goes with my next pay at the start of October and have been wondering what I can buy right now. I have a small collection of various coins, the collection is meant to be a variety of different silver coins from round the world. 

However this month I have not bought what I had originally intended to buy and I’m wondering if what I have bought was the right thing to do. 

So my options were to continue the collection of silver coins which have various amounts of edges. Starting with three edges working up to however many edges one can fit on a coin, maybe a scalloped coin here or there along the way. 

Should I buy The Newish 007 Silver Proof 1/2 or 1Oz James Bond coin with the Lotus Esprit? That one was tempting.

Then all of a sudden Whinnie the Pooh (AKA Xi Jingping if you are not a fan of the CCP) 50p range has just been released by the Royal Mint. 

Should I Perhaps purchase from a foreign state mint 🤔. This means a much bigger postage cost and a longer wait for my purchase to arrive.

Common sense dictated 007 was the coin to go for, for some nagging reason I feel I wish I had bought it now. However instead I have decided to buy (with the excepting of a silver bullion Canadian Maple 1oz) a coin or should I say a set from America (I should specifically state the North American Continent). In this instance my first USA coins, the Annual 2020 Silver Proof Set with 5x .999 fine silver Quarter Dollars and the Reverse Proof Nickel with the West Point (where the USA has an Army Officer Training School similar to Sandhurst in the U.K. I believe). 

My Question to you the community, was this a good buy, I paid RRP but paid for slow delivery. Should I have gone for the single silver proof coin, the edge collection continuation for the fun. Also why is it I see American coins go for so much on auctions? Logic would dictate a large country with a very large population requires more coins than say a smaller country with a smaller population. However a Lincoln cent from a certain year from a certain mint can be worth so much. 

so will the very far distant future be good to this set? I will have them graded of course ASAP, knowing my little monster she will see them and will have the casing damaged and covered in finger prints before I can get it into storage. 

Archived