• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Need capital gains advice.

BowerBoy

Hello all . . .

I am very new to the forum but have a question someone may be able to help me with: I hold a certificate for about 12 oz of unallocated gold at the Perth Mint in Western Australia. I hold dual US/Aus citizenship but reside full-time in the US and it is increasingly unlikely that I will move back to Australia. 

I am now firmly in the camp of "if you don't hold it, you don't own it" and would like to liquidate my account at Perth Mint and immediately re-buy a similar quantity here in the US. My broker at Euro Pacific Capital tells me that is much more practical than converting to allocated and having it picked up or shipped here.

Somewhere I read that if you sell and "re-buy" in kind within a certain time period, you do not owe capital gains tax in the US, but I don't recall where I got that info.
Does anybody know about this? Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, BowerBoy said:

My broker at Euro Pacific Capital

I like Pete Schiff too!

I cannot tell you what the tax regimes between those two juristictions are - 

In the UK - you are liable for Cap gains only if you (on ALL assets) have made over 10k PROFIT  in the tax year in the Taxed environment - ergo most people "deal" inside the tax wrappers of ISA's, Sipps or Spread betting/CFD - all these are tax "efficient" means of staying out of CAPITAL GAINS!

BUT wad du I kno! 🙄😉

Archived