• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Platinum - who's buying?

vand

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ive wanted platinum like mad when spot was around 700, but could never find anywhere to get it without the vat, i was prepared to bring some back myself ,and go get 2oz somewhere  in the eu,

but have no way to know how to test it etc or where to buy

5 minutes ago, fatbob said:

ive wanted platinum like mad when spot was around 700, but could never find anywhere to get it without the vat, i was prepared to bring some back myself ,and go get 2oz somewhere  in the eu,

but have no way to know how to test it etc or where to buy

Your favourite company has probably the cheapest out there.

Not easy to find on their site but if you type "platinum" in their search bar you can see their limited amount of stock of platinum coins.

You will still be paying a pretty hefty premium on platinum though. Cheapest they have is €880 which with the crap exchange rates is not so good. But still cheaper than the UK where the cheapest I could find was about £950.

I would like to get into platinum myself - it just doesn't make sense to me that gold is more valuable! The hope is that over the next few years/decades it will rectify and become more valuable.

Interestingly enough a silver forum member has just ordered a 1oz platinum Queens Beast Lion via the August group order, which is pretty exciting. First time I will get to see one in person and then I can decide if I want to get some for myself!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

26 minutes ago, fatbob said:

make sure you get it on video, im looking forward to that upload! would like to see what you think of it,i know nowt about where to get things but,

i know that hongkong is great for gold

I have already had permission to hold onto it for a little longer to make some videos on it!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

As long as silver is severely underrated, I'll be buying silver, but I always keep an eye on other metals. Not just platinum and palladium, but also copper. 

12 hours ago, shemyaza said:

Buying Platinum as well for the same reason. Never listen to car salesmen, research how the system works and act!

I have some palladium acquired it a few years ago when it was out of favour. Seems now it's time to get some platinum as that's going out of favour.

14 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

I have already had permission to hold onto it for a little longer to make some videos on it!

I have some of the platinum lions, and they're my favorite of what's available in the beasts series. The density of the coin is appealing, and it also seems to me that platinum should be worth more than gold. 

I bought Anglo-American, under-valued and waiting for the crowd to turn up. I'm keeping my Palladium, the exit strategy for that is Ford, General Motors etc....

Be careful and observe the markets, how they function and how Mining Corporations finance their debt, I call it the Comex. Have patience and hold your stack, if you have Palladium hold it, I treasure mine more than Platinum or Gold!

I assume that secondhand platinum should like silver be free of VAT but I assume there are no dealers in the UK that would be so kind, or willing to apply the differential VAT procedure.
If there was a chance of getting a coin with low or zero VAT, I suspect the added premium would make up the VAT anyhow, so like others - looking for an opportunity before Brexit.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm scaling down and taking some money off the table here on my Plat position. Already out of GDX, with some good profits bagged.

Although history tends to show that I have a bad habit of selling out just as the party is getting started!

A little disappointed that the snapback in the plat:gold ratio that I was expecting hasn't been that convincing, still at 1.33.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the Plat:Gold ratio is at an eye-watering 1.40 now!

I have bought back into Plat (& more!), and also back into GDX. The selloff was pretty brutal. Will probably add on any further weakness.

Looking for a move higher over the next 4-6 months.

On 26/08/2017 at 23:08, fatbob said:

make sure you get it on video, im looking forward to that upload! would like to see what you think of it,i know nowt about where to get things but,

i know that hongkong is great for gold

Hong Kong is a good gold place? Will have to fly down there sometime

I still remember many years ago (2009? 10?) when gold was about 1600 or more, watching CNBC trying to convince everyone that Platinum was so much better than gold (they ran many segments that were supposedly impromptu but looked like they were just rehashing old talking points).  Who wants gold coins anyway? they asked.  I was shocked but at the same time it made me realize platinum was much more acceptable to them, which killed any desire for platinum for me (besides not having a history of being used as money).  Maybe I'm weird or old fashioned, but if I buy any platinum or palladium it will be 1 token coin just to say I have one. 

• 3 months later...

Pt managed to tag $1000 from its low of $880 just over a month earlier.

I've been trading it on the long side for a lot of the year and have made some small but useful profit, but I think it's time to start reducing my position and waiting for a pullback.

Personally from a trading perspective I would rather be in Platinum as I think it represents better risk/reward than gold or even silver.

Overall the Gold/Pt ratio is still very-stretched, and I think that buying on the dips this year will be a profitable strategy.

I am no expert in this but platinum seems to be the one asset that recovered best from the big dip last month. 

While the established crypto coins nearly halved PMs seem to hold value and platinum even looks slightly positive. So far I have only bought second hand; while premium remains an issue, getting 69s across the board hopefully adds on to resalability. 

7 hours ago, augur said:

I am no expert in this but platinum seems to be the one asset that recovered best from the big dip last month. 

While the established crypto coins nearly halved PMs seem to hold value and platinum even looks slightly positive. So far I have only bought second hand; while premium remains an issue, getting 69s across the board hopefully adds on to resalability. 

In order of historic valuations vs gold:

Palladium - hugely overpriced
Silver - very underpriced
Platinum - generationally underpriced.. as in over 3 standard deviations

I expect both silver and platinum to outperform gold in the next bull market, which I think is just quietly nudging into 2nd gear.

• 3 weeks later...

platinum has held up much better than its sister Palladium in the last few weeks, and indeed they are pretty much back at 1:1 right now. So we may be seeing the start of some reversion to the mean in some of these ratios. 

You can weigh and measure it:

Specs of platinum version:

Weight: 21.56 Grams / Diameter: 23.03mm / Thickness: 2.08mm

Specs of silver version:

Weight: 20.92 Grams / Diameter: 23.03mm / Thickness: 4.16mm

Goes to show how dense platinum is, same diameter, half the thickness but still weighs more than the silver version.

• 2 weeks later...

Now, that there will be fractional low premium platinum (1/10 oz Pt Britannia), I wonder if others investing in the silver metal. 

Advantages: very dense - no storage issues as with silver (1/10 oz Pt = 5+ oz silver); undervalued albeit not as much as silver.

Disadvantages: VAT, low buy back prices from dealers BUT currently we still can get VAT-free Platinum from Europe AND with the smaller size I can see more of a second hand market. 

• 1 month later...

Palladium appears to be sticking to it recent parity with platinum.

I think this was inevitable given the increased utility of platinum vs the lower utility and abundance of palladium. In a normal market the metal of greater utility and scarcity should act as the ceiling for the lesser, yet we saw a period where this was not the case, I believe entirely due to speculation. I have the same suspicions about rhodium, though know much less about that metal, other than its history of being a market even tighter in terms of physical than silver, and so prone to manipulation as has happened in the past. A true gamblers metal that one. 

Is anyone still adding platinum? Or the other two platinum group metals? 

Archived