• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Landmarks of Britain 2017 – Big Ben – 1 oz Silver Bullion Coin

MikeSol

• 1 month later...

Back on the site and at dealers for sale: https://www.royalmintbullion.com/Products/Landmarks-Of-Britain/Silver/UKBB17AC

Like i idea but don't  like the design i think, not sure

Won't be buying any, just realised they are 25quid at silver-to-go, VAT free... are they deciding to do ridiculous markups now?

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Well based on how MCM is charging $200 for a MS70 coin and only 17 out of the 160 sent in graded as 70 I wouldn't expect much quality from this coin series.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omne aurum quod rex valūtās

I have 3 added to my basket at GS.be, just waiting for the stars wars bullion coin to be released to pull the trigger. And thank you for the rate rise in the US, good timing.

These look like they will make a nice collection when complete, they would look even better in some fancy overpriced royal mint box. Its a shame to think that they almost certainly milk up and lose premium but I plan to buy 3 of each expecting them to be released twice a year. I like the design and its a nice change from animals most of the time. 

Make new friends but keep the old.

One is silver and the other gold

* * * * K   e   e   p       o   n       s   t   a   c   k   i   n   g  ....my friends****

I have fallen for the Queen's Beasts, but I shall not bite at this one.

They are pushing it with their series, their privy marks and other tricks. Bullion should be bullion, get some regular series: Britannias, Sovereigns, Lunars, but let The Royal Mint do the collectables/numismatic items and Royal Mint Bullion do the "wealth storage" bit.

23 hours ago, HyHy said:

Well based on how MCM is charging $200 for a MS70 coin and only 17 out of the 160 sent in graded as 70 I wouldn't expect much quality from this coin series.

MCM is a rip-off imo.  They "sell the sizzle not the steak" so to speak.  I picked up this coin from Apmex when it first released for not much more than a silver eagle.  The quality of the coin is ok, nothing great, I'll post a picture later.  Not sure why someone would pay anywhere close to $200 for a slabbed one.

This new run, and the last £100 for £100 run, all of course based on the original set of Portraits of Britain 4 coin proofs from 2014, images below. Buck palace is my personal favourite. Picked up a couple of the Big Ben 1oz bullion to test the waters with quality and have to say they are better than i expected. Will be watching for any milk stains developing.... odds are high based on past stuff, but sometimes you get lucky.

Overall, looking forward to the complete set of 1oz bullion versions. Nice companion pieces to the proofs.

PoB1.jpg

PoB2.jpg

PoB3.jpg

PoB4.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, blackadder said:

Should be called landmarks of london,No other landmarks outside of london then?

It can seem like that. But the Landmarks of Britain, or Portraits of Britain as they're also called, are a series that feature 4 designs a year. Each year forming one section of the overall series. Although the bullion versions are only just beginning to come out, the proof versions are on the third year. While London landmarks do get the lions share so far, there are other places.

Year 1 is these London scenes

Year 2 is Snowdonia, white cliffs of Dover, The Giants Causeway, The lake district.

Year 3 (this years releases) have westminster Abbey, Downing st., Hampton Court, Edinburgh castle.

19 minutes ago, swAgger said:

It can seem like that. But the Landmarks of Britain, or Portraits of Britain as they're also called, are a series that feature 4 designs a year. Each year forming one section of the overall series. Although the bullion versions are only just beginning to come out, the proof versions are on the third year. While London landmarks do get the lions share so far, there are other places.

Year 2 is Snowdonia, white cliffs of Dover, The Giants Causeway, The lake district.

Year 3 (this years releases) have westminster Abbey, Downing st., Hampton Court, Edinburgh castle.

AH HA!

3 hours ago, swAgger said:

So there's more after year three right?there's still plenty of places they could have picked and spread it out.ie downing street is just meh :P 

19 minutes ago, blackadder said:

So there's more after year three right?there's still plenty of places they could have picked and spread it out.ie downing street is just meh :P 

I think it would be fair to say the Landmarks series is one that the mint didn't have a true course plotted out from day one. Back when the first 4 came out (London scenes) it wasn't clear what if anything was coming next, and it puzzled people at the time for depicting only London. As time has passed, the series has evolved and themes have developed. Possibly the mint didn't like to commit beyond year one. Give the green light year on year and just let the series develop. For instance, 2015 was missed out completely, with the second set of four only coming in 2016.

The artists themselves have had more interesting things to say, when understanding the series. And i suspect they had the bigger picture in mind all along. Series one was meant to depict a visitors snapshot impression of touring the London sites. The odd angles and compositions. Weather, even! (The buck palace one below - after a rain shower?).  All coins a bit impressionist and not perfect renditions, all with a hint of watercolour. And the decision to launch a series called landmarks of Britain with four London sites has an undeniable logic (as long as you don't end the series there!). These are landmarks the rest of the world think of first, and make a bee-line for.

5a31f2e459c63_2014LoB.thumb.JPG.b4f8046ca9523ca28c8b8b2a909d8ade.JPG

Series two was themed around natures landmarks, and series three landmarks that represent places wielding power - past and present. The drive behind the series is themes, not to do a top twenty proportional representation of national landmarks. I like what the series is doing. More and more as it grows. Funny enough, the Downing st one is another of my favourites :D

Borrowed this pic from MCM;

87273.jpg.9b9e0c4390caaff5ce25a0bafe850075.jpg

So no Tintagel Castle or hadrian's wall then? stonehenge will surely be one right? all im saying is there's so much more they could do with it.

10 minutes ago, swAgger said:

These are landmarks the rest of the world think of first, and make a bee-line for.

I know what you're saying :D

40 minutes ago, blackadder said:

So no Tintagel Castle or hadrian's wall then? stonehenge will surely be one right? all im saying is there's so much more they could do with it.

I know what you're saying :D

I know what you're saying, too, and there is definitely a tonne to cover. As a series, some of the groupings so far can be a bit of a head-scratcher for people, unless the broad thematic approach is understood too. Hopefully the mint will continue to give the series the space to properly expand, and let the designers fit many more into relevant themes. I would like to see a set themed around engineering landmarks. And as you say, another around civilisations. So that the series doesn't become more known for what it criminally left out.

Archived