• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Half vs full sovereigns

After a few months of getting a silver stack going I’m thinking it’s best to now start on some gold. With gold being a higher price and my budget not massive atm, I’m just after people thoughts on if it’s worth going for half sovereigns for the time being or should I save for a full one. 

m thanks in advance. 

2 minutes ago, James32 said:

Depends solely on premium, if the average bullion sovereign is going right now for approximately £390, then if you can get a half sovereign for around half that "£195" absolutely go for it, even £200 is worth the purchase. Its when half the item begins to cost a silly premium £210 etc, your throwing money away imho.

Now factor in that if gold heads where most of us think it's going in 5 years time "upwards " a half sovereign will become the sought-after/affordable coin.

The easiest way to explain it is...any piece of gold is worth buying if the premium is acceptable. 

That’s a very good point, I didn’t think of it that way. I just watched a great video taking about the pros of gold compared to silver as the premiums are so high it’s almost wasting money. 

Sovereigns, full or half, Fill yer boots. I like the sovereign, the half's on occasion have a bit more premium on them than the full but they are still a nice coin, and are quite easy to move on should you need to. I think full sovereigns are my choice but to be honest I pick up the halves when I come across them at a reasonable price. As @James32 has already pointed out. Premium is the key 

Just now, ZRPMs said:

Sovereigns, full or half, Fill yer boots. I like the sovereign, the half's on occasion have a bit more premium on them than the full but they are still a nice coin, and are quite easy to move on should you need to. I think full sovereigns are my choice but to be honest I pick up the halves when I come across them at a reasonable price. As @James32 has already pointed out. Premium is the key 

Again another good point. I’ve spent the last year trying to learn everything about silver thinking it’s the better option because of it lower price I hadn’t learnt anything about gold. Best get my reading glasses on 🤓

31 minutes ago, Thebearedoverlander said:

Again another good point. I’ve spent the last year trying to learn everything about silver thinking it’s the better option because of it lower price I hadn’t learnt anything about gold. Best get my reading glasses on 🤓

If you are able to buy a half sovereign, I would! Particularly one that you aren’t too worried to hold in your hand.

There is something about gold coins and owning one will give you a sense of security which is unexpected.

It will also spur you on to save for another 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Coins are not only a store of value but a store of beauty.

The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are. (Joseph Campbell).

You won’t go wrong with either sovereigns or half sovereigns. They’re the most commonly traded gold coin on the forum.

There is also the rarity of both sovereigns and half sovereigns and the numismatist route to buying truly rare coins.

If you don’t yet have any gold, I’d recommend buying both a bullion sovereign and a bullion half sovereign. Familiarise yourself with them.

Just to warn you, if you buy a half first, when you buy a sovereign, the sovereign will look huge, if you buy them in the other order, the half sovereign will look very small.

As the gold price does rise, I think half sovereigns will grow in popularity.

8 hours ago, James32 said:

If you can get a half sovereign for around half that "£195" absolutely go for it, even £200 is worth the purchase. Its when half the item begins to cost a silly premium £210 etc, your throwing money away imho.

That said, mid-grade Vicky young head half sovereigns were averaging about £180 a pop back in 2017 on eBay, well above the bullion price at the time, when halves were about £120 per coin. Now though they'd be considered a good buy.

So even if you go in a little high, if you are prepared to sit on them a while the losses can be recouped on the whole.

10 minutes ago, SidS said:

That said, mid-grade Vicky young head half sovereigns were averaging about £180 a pop back in 2017 on eBay, well above the bullion price at the time, when halves were about £120 per coin. Now though they'd be considered a good buy.

So even if you go in a little high, if you are prepared to sit on them a while the losses can be recouped on the whole.

That’s my plan, all my precious metals are for wealth security, so will just keep getting stacked up till needed. 

1 hour ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Glad to have you on board mate, first thing to do is try and get past gold being a higher price it’s not.   Not in terms of premium or spread. I’m sure you have come to release that after stacking silver for a few months.    Best thing about silver is that it leads people into gold. 

After the dealer premium and vat in many cases you need silver spot to double in price to see a small return this is not the case for gold.

I would rather have 1 sovereign than 14 1oz silver coins for the above reasons, as for buying a full or half, it’s down to your goals if you were you going to buy a 1/2 sovereign per month then it would make sense just to buy a full sovereign every 2 months as the premiums are better.

you do not get more for your money with silver you get less far less, just try and get over that mental block.  

also do some virtual buying and selling, just with £1000, buy £1000 worth of silver 1oz and £1000 worth of sovereigns at the start of the year and build a spreadsheet and see how they go, sell half of them a few months in and see what sort of return you would get, or how much if your starting money you would get back, factoring postage, as buying 1oz silver hear and there is bonkers expensive and a margin killer that many don’t take into account. 

I think that was my first problem, I couldn’t afford 1oz of gold straight away so instead spent £900 on silver over the course of 2-3 months…. I’m glad I’ve got it but if I could start over I would’ve gone straight for gold. 

m thanks for the advice. 

18 hours ago, James32 said:

Depends solely on premium, if the average bullion sovereign is going right now for approximately £390, then if you can get a half sovereign for around half that "£195" absolutely go for it, even £200 is worth the purchase. Its when half the item begins to cost a silly premium £210 etc, your throwing money away imho.

Now factor in that if gold heads where most of us think it's going in 5 years time "upwards " a half sovereign will become the sought-after/affordable coin.

The easiest way to explain it is...any piece of gold is worth buying if the premium is acceptable. 

Exactly this, personally I prefer fulls, I like to feel the weight of the coin. But that's just my preference.

Half's are a more liquid coin, you have a bigger buyer pool especially if gold keeps trending up which it always has done.

In years down the line for example, you'll have an easier time shifting a £500 half sov than a £1,000 full.

I wouldn't pay more than 200 for a standard half at current prices or might as well save up for a full. But you won't be going wrong buying either honestly.. all gold is good gold if priced right.

This user has a knack for offending others with their sense of humour.

Please DO NOT take seriously.

Complaints go directly to ChrisSilver.

Pretty little half sovereigns! Love 'em. They don't cost the earth, are easy to sell, and increase in value down the years. There's a bit of a higher premium than full sovereigns but you also have to take into account your withdrawal symptoms because once you buy gold you'll never want to stop and when the pennies run out gold fever will hit you like a brick 🤣 ... so buy halves to keep the pain away longer. Much better than od'ing on a full sov and then suffering cold turkey until you can afford another one.

In fact if you can live off 1 gram bars every other month instead all the better. I've never tried drugs but I can't imagine they're anymore addictive than the yellow shiny stuff 🤤 I'm currently experimenting with goldbacks. Cheap as chips and have all of the scrumptious gold experience a person craves yum yum yum 

8 hours ago, Thebearedoverlander said:

I think that was my first problem, I couldn’t afford 1oz of gold straight away so instead spent £900 on silver over the course of 2-3 months…. I’m glad I’ve got it but if I could start over I would’ve gone straight for gold. 

m thanks for the advice. 

If I had £900 to spare and a newly acquired taste for getting into gold I'd go to a bullion dealer and buy a gold selection box. A half sov here, a couple of 1 gram bars there. Top it off with a full sov and 1/10th Brit. Lovely jubilee. I'm not saying do that. Rubbish financial advice 😅

..... oh but the rush from trying it. So wurf it :D 

1 minute ago, CazLikesCoins said:

If I had £900 to spare and a newly acquired taste for getting into gold I'd go to a bullion dealer and buy a gold selection box. A half sov here, a couple of 1 gram bars there. Top it off with a full sov and 1/10th Brit. Lovely jubilee. I'm not saying do that. Rubbish financial advice 😅

..... oh but the rush from trying it. So wurf it :D 

I'd go 2 full sovs and the rest on beer and pizza :D

10 minutes ago, Thebearedoverlander said:

I’ve not seen one up close, I’m guessing there similar size to 20p coin ? 

Pretty much size of a 1p, 1mm smaller than.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just starting in gold and I'm looking at either a half sov each month, or a full sov every 2 months.

I want to buy regularly as I'm looking to hold for least 20 years. For me, buying regularly to average out cost is preferably to trying to buy the dip. Otherwise I'll end up glued to my phone every day checking prices etc and other areas of my life will slip 😆 

Looking at chards at the moment, including £6 postage on one coin, a full sov has 6.5% premium, half sov has 10%. I'm thinking 10% is probably still an acceptable margin. My money sat in a savings account will devalue by that amount in a couple of years anyway....

Where would you set your acceptable premium for a half?

1 hour ago, Bertie said:

I'm just starting in gold and I'm looking at either a half sov each month, or a full sov every 2 months.

I want to buy regularly as I'm looking to hold for least 20 years. For me, buying regularly to average out cost is preferably to trying to buy the dip. Otherwise I'll end up glued to my phone every day checking prices etc and other areas of my life will slip 😆 

Looking at chards at the moment, including £6 postage on one coin, a full sov has 6.5% premium, half sov has 10%. I'm thinking 10% is probably still an acceptable margin. My money sat in a savings account will devalue by that amount in a couple of years anyway....

Where would you set your acceptable premium for a half?

Welcome Bertie. Good strategy. Little and often evens out the bumps. Premiums do fluctuate a little but yes, you’re about right now. Have seen half Sovs available for £195 over past couple of days and Sovs in the £375-380 range. Premiums have definitely risen in recent months on fractional, whilst falling away on full ounces. Personally and it’s just my opinion, I think those premiums will remain over time so am not too worried as I’ll get them back out the other end. Good luck to you 👍🏼