• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Am I Doing The Right Thing?

Sy007

19 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

It's certainly going that way, but we are not looking at an armageddon type scenario. The downfall will take months at the very least. And no one knows just how bad it will be. We came back after the wars, we'll come back again. Life isn't going to end, you won't need a shotgun with you to buy a cabbage. Just don't want new stackers to buy into the chaos, spending everything they have, then they crash their car or whatever and have to buy a new one, no money, sell silver at a loss and then pack in stacking altogether.

So there's really no rush, not if you want to do it right.

Keep cash back for emergencies

Also lol, reminds me of my boating accident I'm about to have if the laws on gold ownership change.

I've got a bug out bag and an escape plan. I'll be rather annoyed if my dreams of glamping through the Armageddons is besmirched because the country pulls itself together.

1 minute ago, CazLikesCoins said:

I've got a bug out bag and an escape plan. I'll be rather annoyed if my dreams of glamping through the Armageddons is besmirched because the country pulls itself together.

There's a prepper down the road, my plan is just to rob him on day 1 🤷‍♂️

Ad lunam, ad opes ac felicitatem.

"Put the soup down. Today is a caviar day."    -James32

1 minute ago, Upsidedown said:

Preppers are just gathering supplies for the biggest roaming gang on the block if society decays and the S Really does HTF 

36 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

The downfall will take months at the very least.

Also lol, reminds me of my boating accident I'm about to have if the laws on gold ownership change.

Months? - you are more pessimistic than me. 

Be proactive - i've already had several tragic boating accidents.

Edited by sixgun

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

8 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

Doomsday Preppers! Make a big point about being super secretive about their supplies and then go on national telly and show everyone everything they've got 😄

This fella shot his own thumb off and called it a misfire. You won't have to worry about much resistance when you rob them as they'll probably all be dead from incompetence. 

12 minutes ago, Paul said:

Preppers are just gathering supplies for the biggest roaming gang on the block if society decays and the S Really does HTF 

The fella across the road and his rather big MMA mates are planning a militia when it all goes to pot. I've been included, wasn't asked, didn't say no. I suppose I can make myself useful by washing the pots as I don't know kung fu lol

2 hours ago, CazLikesCoins said:

All I'll add is don't get too obsessed with buying gold. It's no fun if all your savings are in the form of the shiny yellow stuff and you can't afford to pop out for a newspaper and a bottle of milk. Also don't give up on the fun things in life, a new jumper, a nice haircut, some Tescos Finest Christmas puds instead of Aldi specials. I mean you can't take it with your can you? Well you can in the form of Christmas puds stuck on the waistline but to summarise my waffle moderation in all things, taste it and see. Some people go full on Goldfinger and get obsessed with the stuff to the detriment of all else. Body odour, poor dental hygiene, nostril hair flourishing, the works but have tons of golds, well maybe pounds not sure but a lot. And no teeth! So find a balance and be happy. You know what happened to King Midas.

"My Precious!" I heard.

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

2 hours ago, CazLikesCoins said:

That's the problem! You bought silver lol. Between the tax on it and the small profit it makes circa 1797 you'll be sitting in a cardboard box eating your shoes while the goldies fly around in their platinum plated helicopters eating white truffles and caviar. I do agree the country is going down. Time to prep! Noodles, water filters, family packs of crisps. Board up the windows say goodbye to your cat before it becomes dinner, eat your neighbours, weld amour to your car, Mad Max! End of the world! We don't need another hero! It's all around the corner! But until it get's here, I'm not bov'ered lol.

As i say i don't sweat over my stack - i haven't paid VAT and i still don't. Most of it was picked up during the period 2014 - 2020 when silver was friendless and i bought between £12 something and £17 something. i see Blackrock picked up a lot of PSLV the other day - the off take from the Shanghai exchange has also jumped. Who knows what's next. i always say, it's not a matter of if, it's simply a matter of when. i'll put up with a cardboard box for a little longer.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

9 minutes ago, sixgun said:

As i say i don't sweat over my stack - i haven't paid VAT and i still don't. Most of it was picked up during the period 2014 - 2020 when silver was friendless and i bought between £12 something and £17 something. i see Blackrock picked up a lot of PSLV the other day - the off take from the Shanghai exchange has also jumped. Who knows what's next. i always say, it's not a matter of if, it's simply a matter of when. i'll put up with a cardboard box for a little longer.

Cardboard box and a tinfoil hat .... accesorized with 24K 3 inch thick dog chain and diamond encrusted silver poopascoopa

Mind is primary and mass-energy is derivative

39 minutes ago, sixgun said:

Don't forget the freeze dried food not kidding. When the shops are empty a Kelly Kettle in the garden, some boiling water and freeze dried food will be a banquet. While we watch the warplanes/ aliens/vaccination drones fly over.

2 minutes ago, CazLikesCoins said:

Don't forget the freeze dried food not kidding. When the shops are empty a Kelly Kettle in the garden, some boiling water and freeze dried food will be a banquet. While we watch the warplanes/ aliens/vaccination drones fly over.

I intend to aquire a taste for human flesh. I feel like humans will be the easiest to hunt.. animals actually know how to survive

9 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

I intend to aquire a taste for human flesh. I feel like humans will be the easiest to hunt.. animals actually know how to survive

You'll probably die of high cholesterol. The average brit consists of 90% fat. 

I'll stick to growing my own veg :D 

Edited by CazLikesCoins

10 minutes ago, Upsidedown said:

It's not unknown in the past...

If we do the right thing this time, we might have to do the right thing again next time.

Just now, CazLikesCoins said:

You'll probably die of high cholesterol. The average brit is like 90% fat now. 

I'll stick to growing my own veg :D 

I don't really like veg but don't mind carrots and broccoli.

I'll be ramming my neighbours meat and 2 veg down my gob first night of the apocalypse.

6 hours ago, Sy007 said:

Thanks all for your amazing replies and advice. I was just worried that I was going in too fast too soon. I have used the forum a lot as there are some amazing deals to be had here. I have most of my silver from here at around £24 to £26/ozt. I have bought some unique coins from other places as the odd one makes the stacking a little more interesting for me. 
Thank goodness for this forum because who the hell are we supposed to talk to about this?

You are a great community and I'm so pleased to be a part of it.

All the best

Sy 

Out of interest what did you buy? 

As for your opening post I'm just wondering if you plan to keep buying or are you going to leave it at 70 Oz also I would worry about being obsessive as most here are but I would be careful where you get your research from, history is probably the only reliable source and would try and set a goal rather than cash in when I am retired as market cycles may not work in your favour. 

Personally I am a lover of metal as an asset in physical form, I hold all sorts but would say it's more of a hobby than an investment (for me). Like others on here if I thought the world was going down the swanny in the future I would not invest. Spending money based on emotions is never good especially fear. 

2 minutes ago, Bigmarc said:

Out of interest what did you buy? 

As for your opening post I'm just wondering if you plan to keep buying or are you going to leave it at 70 Oz also I would worry about being obsessive as most here are but I would be careful where you get your research from, history is probably the only reliable source and would try and set a goal rather than cash in when I am retired as market cycles may not work in your favour. 

Personally I am a lover of metal as an asset in physical form, I hold all sorts but would say it's more of a hobby than an investment (for me). Like others on here if I thought the world was going down the swanny in the future I would not invest. Spending money based on emotions is never good especially fear. 

I have a target for this year of 100 ozt in silver and whatever I have left will go into gold. 

My main assets in silver are all tubes of Brits with a coronation proof coin in the mix. I have a tube of maples which were an excellent price.  My gold is simply Sovereigns. I like to think I can see through the BS. I won't succumb to conspiracies or collapses in currencies as a reason to invest. I'm very selective as to what I watch on YouTube etc. I only know about the history of the markets which are the only facts that are easily available. My plan is to cash out in 20 years. It's an investment for me and a decent hedge against inflation all being well. Should anything happen to me before this time then my family have it all.
My thinking is, if I don't have it all now then I won't have 20 years for it to mature, grow or see a return. 

2 hours ago, Sy007 said:

I have a target for this year of 100 ozt in silver and whatever I have left will go into gold. 

My main assets in silver are all tubes of Brits with a coronation proof coin in the mix. I have a tube of maples which were an excellent price.  My gold is simply Sovereigns. I like to think I can see through the BS. I won't succumb to conspiracies or collapses in currencies as a reason to invest. I'm very selective as to what I watch on YouTube etc. I only know about the history of the markets which are the only facts that are easily available. My plan is to cash out in 20 years. It's an investment for me and a decent hedge against inflation all being well. Should anything happen to me before this time then my family have it all.
My thinking is, if I don't have it all now then I won't have 20 years for it to mature, grow or see a return. 

Nice target, and good choices, easily sold on. If you get the bug it maybe worth selling a bit on your journey just to get a bit of experience and feedback on that side of things because you wouldn't want to be in your 60's working out how to sell it. Many on here like to reconfigure their collection from time to time ( I have done it a little) just keeps things fresh. I have been collecting coins I was 20 and am a similar age to you, I sold a rake of it during the high premiums during the COVID shortage but will buy back some point 

Edited by Bigmarc

Turn round twice and you'd think you were on the Step.

18 hours ago, sixgun said:

Look out side it is already happening. Sunak is talking about price controls in the face of over 40 year record food inflation. This is End Times talk. Price controls don't work. The shops will empty out. It will end in tears. We need endless immigration to pump up property prices and support pension payments. As soon as prices make property unobtainium and the property market starts to crack, the not so good ship UK will end up at the bottom of the sea along with my silver stack.

Indeed. 

18 hours ago, Upsidedown said:

It's certainly going that way, but we are not looking at an armageddon type scenario. The downfall will take months at the very least. And no one knows just how bad it will be. We came back after the wars, we'll come back again. Life isn't going to end, you won't need a shotgun with you to buy a cabbage. Just don't want new stackers to buy into the chaos, spending everything they have, then they crash their car or whatever and have to buy a new one, no money, sell silver at a loss and then pack in stacking altogether.

So there's really no rush, not if you want to do it right.

Keep cash back for emergencies

@Upsidedown  You may be interested to read this which is an easy and informative read using several examples from history http://people.uncw.edu/kozloffm/glubb.pdf

Years rather than months I suspect, but it WILL happen sooner or later.  600 000 net immigration to the UK last year alone (ONS Stats) : it's coming !    As far as we've come, there's still a way to go and things will get a LOT worse before it all goes completely tits up

@CazLikesCoins  Where ya gonna bug out to in the ever-so-slightly overcrowded UK then girl..?   I'd love to know because I'll come and join you if it means escaping the other 67 million+ bugger-outers...😷  I've heard St Kilda is nice this time of year and the Puffin Pie is both plentiful and a delight to the tastebuds..!

@Sy007  Apologies for hijacking the thread.   Keep on stacking. You are doing the right thing.

Edited by flyingveepixie

2 hours ago, flyingveepixie said:

Years rather than months I suspect, but it WILL... 

Most likely over many years and it's probably started,  we've been heading this way since WW1. However anything could happen before then to speed it up. Worst case I'm thinking nuclear war, no matter how unlikely, that'd bring us down to months. Or even weeks if the correct infrastructure is wiped early on.

Realistically, we still have years. So the general consensus is to relax for now.