• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint Star Wars coins

2 hours ago, paulmerton said:

Has anyone heard about any Star Wars coins coming out soon, or seen any proclamations that could be about them?

Tell us what you know Paul

Have you sensed a disturbance in the mint?

This user has a knack for offending others with their sense of humour.

Please DO NOT take seriously.

Complaints go directly to ChrisSilver.

4 hours ago, westminstrel said:

It’s interesting that there hasn’t been a proclamation yet.

I can remember at least one prior instance when the RM released a coin and the backdated proclamation was published much later. 

I think the first coin is due out in at least a few months time, latter half of 2023 IIRC, so the proclamation may still come ahead of the coin. I guess they just didn't want to miss out on the special date for the announcement.

4 minutes ago, MBTPSilver said:

I think the first coin is due out in at least a few months time, latter half of 2023 IIRC, so the proclamation may still come ahead of the coin. I guess they just didn't want to miss out on the special date for the announcement.

Oh yes of course. May the 4th. 🙂

On 04/05/2023 at 19:24, paulmerton said:

I expect these will also be available as coloured 50ps like the Harry Potter ones were. Also hoping the plain buncs will be available as a strike your own coin!

I could have sworn the Royal Mint webpage for registering interest did mention coloured coins - but I don’t see this anymore.

I think the Millennium Falcon is a really strong candidate for one of the reverse designs.

The one used in the second movie was built in Wales and filmed in Elsetree Studios in England. How can it not feature :D 

13 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

I think the Millennium Falcon is a really strong candidate for one of the reverse designs.

The one used in the second movie was built in Wales and filmed in Elsetree Studios in England. How can it not feature :D 

I’m not a Star Wars fan but I love a fellow geek. 😆

1 minute ago, Upsidedown5318008 said:

Gold piedfort Jar Jar Binks 50p for triple spot would be the centre piece of any true collectors stash 😊

Don't recall seeing him in the original trilogy!

7 minutes ago, paulmerton said:

Don't recall seeing him in the original trilogy!

They will make an exception surely 🤣

This user has a knack for offending others with their sense of humour.

Please DO NOT take seriously.

Complaints go directly to ChrisSilver.

I am curious about the coins. But to be honest, I don't know why the RM issues should necessarily make a difference to the umpteen Star Wars island issues. In my opinion, Harry Potter is something else, so a connection is understandable. With Star Wars, the RM simply joins the ranks of agencies like APMEX, NZ Mint, etc. that have no history or tradition. Even as a huge Star Wars fan, I don't see any added value for RM editions, even if a Millennium Falcon was built in the UK and a few scenes were shot. If Charles appeared at the coronation in a Darth Vader costume, my opinion would only change to a limited extent. Still, I'll get the coins and put them with the rest of the agency issues. There is no room for such gimmicks in my RM boxes.

Talking about the Millenium Falcon. Here the shaped issue from the NZ Mint, propably projected and minted by CIT Coins and B.H. Mayer. Good luck Royal Mint.

20230506_112731.thumb.jpg.00af8885f97026c0cbc358461a8a95d0.jpg20230506_113037.thumb.jpg.6fd9e46ed7042e266c1c27b49755f83d.jpg

Imho there is nothing to be gained for the RM, as they cannot compete with modern coin striking. And even in terms of quality, the RM is far behind. Perhaps they should concentrate on the things that make them unique and that no other mint or agency can really compete with, history and tradition. And the rest of the time they have, they could try to solve their quality issues, instead of trying to jump on a train, that is too fast for them.

Edited by dikefalos