• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2022 Jubilee half proof sovereign quality issue

Falcon1985

Hi guys!

I would like to know others opinion about this coin that I purchased a few days ago! I am new to collecting coins and also newbie here as I just joined today to Silver Forum!

I hope this is the right place to come up this kind of questions or topics! I was looking for a jubilee half proof sovereign since I also bought the memorial proof sovereign last week.

I have just a few coins and in the future I would like to get them graded as well. However I do not know if I should keep this one because of these issues on the pictures. With naked eyes hardly visible and 

I saw that unfortunately lots of us had these kind of issues with Royal mint. Any advice appreciated. I just do not know if this is bad enough not to get a grade of 70 or better if I replace it for another one.

Also I paid 355£ for this as I think it was a kind of good price for it. You can correct me with this as well if I am not right.

Many thanks guys

issue1.PNG

issue2.PNG

issue3.PNG

39 minutes ago, Spyder said:

Welcome to the forum.

I am no expert on grading but no one can guarantee you a coin that will get pf70. There are other experts who know more. Good luck

36 minutes ago, CazLikesCoins said:

Are all the scratch marks on the coin or the capsule?  I'd be a bit unhappy with it to be honest with you if on the coin. 

These:

868748408_Screenshot2023-03-20at17_21_10.thumb.png.7bc4545c4989bb80e9baf767384ff77c.png

There is no scratch whatsoever that is only the capsule! thanks for your comment!

7 minutes ago, James32 said:

Good price and I've seen worse get pf70, but I've also seen better get pf69 unfortunately. Nobody can tell to a grade beforehand, not even the world renowned grader @GoldDiggerDave lol

Thank you for your comment! I did not expect anyone to tell me if this coin could get that grade but probably you guys have seen more examples.

I have seen posts with worse pictures. I may keep it and when I decide to get it graded I will see how it goes. I am afraid I would only get another one that is even worse than this.

@Falcon1985 I have submitted 100's of Jubilee sovereigns and 98-99% have got 70's, but theres no guarantee how a coin will grade I've got 12-13 PF70UC  proof 1/2 Jubilee sovereigns in my collection that I will hold as I feel these will do very well over time.   

42 minutes ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

@Falcon1985 I have submitted 100's of Jubilee sovereigns and 98-99% have got 70's, but theres no guarantee how a coin will grade I've got 12-13 PF70UC  proof 1/2 Jubilee sovereigns in my collection that I will hold as I feel these will do very well over time.   

Thank you for your answer.  I would like to hold it as well and later on I will see when I send it to get it graded. It was just a bit off putting when I saw it first but still  may be a chance to get a good grade I guess. What is your recommendation to get it graded? NGC? Also what should I expect as a cost for it. I saw their pricing on their website but looked a bit confusing to me.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

8 hours ago, Falcon1985 said:

Thank you for your answer.  I would like to hold it as well and later on I will see when I send it to get it graded. It was just a bit off putting when I saw it first but still  may be a chance to get a good grade I guess. What is your recommendation to get it graded? NGC? Also what should I expect as a cost for it. I saw their pricing on their website but looked a bit confusing to me.

Any suggestion would be appreciated!

I do NGC grading and conservation work for many people here.    The cost of submitting is dependant on the service and things like labels etc.    The base price is £65.00, if you want this submitting to the NGC we can PM and that though the details.