• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Grade or Not

gazer

Most likely not worth it unless it's both rare and in unusually good condition.  Marsh lists 1921 Perth mint sovs as 'C' with a total mintage in the region of 2.3 million.  George V sovs in good condition aren't all that rare as they stopped being circulated as currency during WWI, despite being roughly half of all sovs ever minted.  The photos aren't great but there is some visible scuffing and scratching, which suggest the coin isn't in unusually good condition by George V standards.

Marsh prices it at a little above bullion value in EF condition, and Spink 22 calls it BV at anything below uncirculated, which I don't think the coin would make with the visible scuffing.

I'd say case for grading and slabbing is marginal; probably you wouldn't get the cost back.

Edited by Silverlocks

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

It depends on what  you are trying to achieve.  

it’s it sentimental reasons,  part of a graded series’s of coins, you hoping it will grade very high and make loads of money or just want to see how the process works?   Some questions you may want to ask yourself as there’s no one answer fits all.

There is multiple edge knocks, the obverse is worn so it will not grade high imo. It’s  a common year large head variety. 

Just a quick little video (videos are better that pictures)  The 1919 P MS61 is ok some edge nibbles, contact marks and some wear to the high points.  The strike is also very average.   The 1911 C is instantly a much better strike and as much less damage around the rim the fields are also pleasing on the eye.   Hope you find this an helpful comparison.  Dave 

On 27/01/2023 at 17:01, Silverlocks said:

Most likely not worth it unless it's both rare and in unusually good condition.  Marsh lists 1921 Perth mint sovs as 'C' with a total mintage in the region of 2.3 million.  George V sovs in good condition aren't all that rare as they stopped being circulated as currency during WWI, despite being roughly half of all sovs ever minted.  The photos aren't great but there is some visible scuffing and scratching, which suggest the coin isn't in unusually good condition by George V standards.

Marsh prices it at a little above bullion value in EF condition, and Spink 22 calls it BV at anything below uncirculated, which I don't think the coin would make with the visible scuffing.

I'd say case for grading and slabbing is marginal; probably you wouldn't get the cost back.

Thank you for your information I understand better now.

You information is interesting a good read. Thank you very much.

On 27/01/2023 at 17:15, GoldDiggerDave said:

It depends on what  you are trying to achieve.  

it’s it sentimental reasons,  part of a graded series’s of coins, you hoping it will grade very high and make loads of money or just want to see how the process works?   Some questions you may want to ask yourself as there’s no one answer fits all.

There is multiple edge knocks, the obverse is worn so it will not grade high imo. It’s  a common year large head variety. 

Thank you very much, I will take your advice and thought about it I won't get it slabed not worth it. Good information thank you.

22 hours ago, GoldDiggerDave said:

Just a quick little video (videos are better that pictures)  The 1919 P MS61 is ok some edge nibbles, contact marks and some wear to the high points.  The strike is also very average.   The 1911 C is instantly a much better strike and as much less damage around the rim the fields are also pleasing on the eye.   Hope you find this an helpful comparison.  Dave 

Excellent video thank you very much. And thanks to everyone who took the time and effort advice Excellent 👍