• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Types of coin capsules

Aecoin

I’ve made a few small bullion coin purchases recently from Chards, Atkinsons & the Royal Mint.

I notice that Chards & Atkinsons appear to use the same type of coin capsule - a fairly slim capsule - whereas the Royal Mint use a much chunkier capsule.

Could someone tell me what make/type the capsules are?  I’ve heard the term “lighthouse” used - are either of these lighthouse capsules?

3 minutes ago, Aecoin said:

Could someone tell me what make/type the capsules are?  I’ve heard the term “lighthouse” used - are either of these lighthouse capsules?

I don't think so.  If you want Lighthouse, you can get them from Dauwalders.  There are a fair variety of no-name ones available on Ebay and AliExpress as well.

The other brand you might see a lot of is air-tites.  As far as I'm aware there is no UK agent but you can find folks flogging them here, on Ebay and on the FB groups.  They also have a site that you can order them off, but the postage is quite pricey.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

There are several well known brands of clear capsules available and you basically get what you pay for.
If you have a precious ( not necessarily super expensive ) coin that you want to house in the best capsule then a direct fitting AirTite is the best.
They are more expensive than most and you should seek out a forum seller otherwise you will have to buy from the USA and shipping is very expensive unless you buy in bulk.
A nice feature is the edge quality, rounded and transparent making it difficult to see the junction between top and bottom so making it a great capsule to show off a coin.

Next best is Lighthouse / Leuchtturm superior rimless caps and you can buy these in boxes of 20.
They are a good quality and have a small thumb point to prise open - that's fine for some users but it is visible.

Then there are a range of decent quality caps that tend to have more noticeable or prominent small rims.

Finally the very inexpensive caps are good for just protecting your coins but they generally have rub marks and fine scratches on them when brand new, scratch very easily and dissolve / get cloudy if you try to clean them with some solvents like acetone.

Thanks.

I’m quite fancying some airtite tubes, and am deciding whether to keep the capsules I’ve got and use with the tubes - assuming they fit, or go the whole hog and swap out the capsules as well.

Edited by Aecoin

I buy my capsules from here.

https://www.coingallery.co.uk/coin-capsules-34-c.asp

I usually just buy the basic Lighthouse ones because all I really want is something to keep the coin inside from getting damaged.

The ones they list as Airtites  are actually Lighthouse capsules they just use the rings from Air-Tite

Edited by WizardOfSov

7 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

I don't think so.  If you want Lighthouse, you can get them from Dauwalders.  There are a fair variety of no-name ones available on Ebay and AliExpress as well.

The other brand you might see a lot of is air-tites.  As far as I'm aware there is no UK agent but you can find folks flogging them here, on Ebay and on the FB groups.  They also have a site that you can order them off, but the postage is quite pricey.

I will tag in @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer so the team are aware of the interest in different capsules.

Most of ours are Lighthouse (Leuchturm).

The old RM screw top ones used to be the best IMO.

😎

Chards

9 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

I will tag in @ChardsCoinandBullionDealer so the team are aware of the interest in different capsules.

Most of ours are Lighthouse (Leuchturm).

The old RM screw top ones used to be the best IMO.

😎

Have you ever attempted to start a distributorship for Air-tites?

It seems conspicuous by its absence.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

For bullion grade gold/silver coins any old capsule will suffice imo but i do use  Leuchturm personally 

LFTV.  live from the vault.   Spot price is immaterial. its just an illusion.

I've bought a few Perth Mint coins from various UK sellers and like the capsules they come in.  Chunky, rimless and perfectly clear.  Not sure if they're supplied by PM or whether they're an aftermarket addition from the resellers.  Wonder if anyone knows which type they would be? 

Also, without individually measuring every coin, is there a standard maximum diameter for 1oz silver coins or do they vary?