• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1oz Silver World Coins?

KevjustKev

Well we all know that many mints produce their own coins and they can be classed as world coins. Yet which ones truly are?

Yes, the Britannia, ASE, Maple Leaf, Kangaroo and Panda will fit in no probs but others, when does the line end?

I should think the Noah's Ark, Philharmonic and Krugerrand must count. 

What of the Niue Turtle and Owl, or the Somalian Elephant, of indeed the Kook, Koala, Canada's wildlife or the Royal Arms and Valiant? Do they count?

Over to you and type about this for a bit.🙂

Hello kev how's things. 

Definitely philharmonic. When I started this 20+ years ago I was working in Germany and started buying these over the counter along with ASE's. Back then most banks in Germany sold these and I think we could buy them at the airport. Not sure what it's like now tho. 

Any National Mint should be included ie China, Pandas etc. South African Krugers for sure, don't know about Royal Mint at the moment, I don't think they would get into the Club right now due to poor quality. eh! They are trying to sell a world set of 6 bullion coins, 999 mintage for £495 a set ie £82,50 a coin in a box.

What a rip off.

4 hours ago, CollectForFun said:

Define "world coins" please?

I assume you meant something like oz coins which are the most representative for that country?

No standard definition, but for the UK, it really means coins not minted in any of the normal places you'd normally buy from, but still minted locally as coins in their country of origin.  Mexican coins would probably qualify as 'world gold', and most South American coins certainly would.  U.S. or Canadian coins probably wouldn't be viewed that way here.

Not sure the Somali Elephant would qualify as world gold, as it's minted by an outfit in Germany that's spun a deal with the Somali government and predominantly sold as bullion.  They were never intended to be issued as circulated currency in Somalia, although they are technically legal tender in the way that Britannias are here.

The Sovereign is the quintessentially British coin.  It has a German queen on the front, an Italian waiter on the back, and half of them were made in Australia.

10 hours ago, Silverlocks said:

No standard definition, but for the UK, it really means coins not minted in any of the normal places you'd normally buy from, but still minted locally as coins in their country of origin.  Mexican coins would probably qualify as 'world gold', and most South American coins certainly would.  U.S. or Canadian coins probably wouldn't be viewed that way here.

Not sure the Somali Elephant would qualify as world gold, as it's minted by an outfit in Germany that's spun a deal with the Somali government and predominantly sold as bullion.  They were never intended to be issued as circulated currency in Somalia, although they are technically legal tender in the way that Britannias are here.

Well this makes sense but is not consistent with the opening post which classes Brits as the world coins but not the Kooks or Koalas, that's why I asked what their idea behind the classification is.

I think that if the coin clearly relates to a particular country, comes from a proper mint (not necessarily in the same country) and the coin is minted for several years, it probably qualifies as a world coin.

So on that definition, Royal Arms and Valiants would qualify as UK world coins, Kooks would qualify, Niue Turtles and Somali Elephants would qualify etc.

On a narrower definition you might only count one coin from each country as its world coin (e.g. Britannia, Kangaroo only) but I think that's probably a bit too restrictive.  I'd rather include more coins in the definition and enjoy collecting a greater variety.

On 27/01/2023 at 13:37, KevjustKev said:

Well we all know that many mints produce their own coins and they can be classed as world coins. Yet which ones truly are?

Yes, the Britannia, ASE, Maple Leaf, Kangaroo and Panda will fit in no probs but others, when does the line end?

I should think the Noah's Ark, Philharmonic and Krugerrand must count. 

What of the Niue Turtle and Owl, or the Somalian Elephant, of indeed the Kook, Koala, Canada's wildlife or the Royal Arms and Valiant? Do they count?

Over to you and type about this for a bit.🙂

I am not sure I understand the question...

Correction...

I am sure I don't understand the question1

😎

Chards

On 27/01/2023 at 13:50, Aecoin said:

Krugerrand definitely, one of the earliest in gold.

Libertad?

Casa de Moneda de México 

LFTV.  live from the vault.   Spot price is immaterial. its just an illusion.

14 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I am not sure I understand the question...

Correction...

I am sure I don't understand the question1

😎

There are coins which are minted by national mints, and each year these mints produce a different dated coin the same design, correct?

These coins includes ones like the Britannia from the UK, ASE from the US, Maple Leaf from Canada, I think you get the idea. A goodly number of stackers/collectors consider these world coins. My question is, can coins like the Armenian Noah's Ark and the Somalia Elephant be classed as world coins? They are made each year, nut not minted by those countries, but on their behalf.

Also, Aus makes the Kookaburra and Koala each year, do these count?

2 hours ago, KevjustKev said:

There are coins which are minted by national mints, and each year these mints produce a different dated coin the same design, correct?

These coins includes ones like the Britannia from the UK, ASE from the US, Maple Leaf from Canada, I think you get the idea. A goodly number of stackers/collectors consider these world coins. My question is, can coins like the Armenian Noah's Ark and the Somalia Elephant be classed as world coins? They are made each year, nut not minted by those countries, but on their behalf.

Yes, Armenian Noah's Ark and Somalian Elephant can be considered as world coins, even these countries have not their own national mints. Also, lots of coins from many other countries and islands.

I think if they have written the name of the country, year and face value, it is not relevant if they are made in a mint of another country.

By extension, Toyota will be always considered a japanese car, even their factories are in several other places.

2 hours ago, KevjustKev said:

I don't believe there is an established definition for the term "world coin", and I'm not sure it even is a term in common use. So I guess you can define it how you see most appropriate and work out which coins fit that definition but someone else will have a different idea what it means. For me the term sounds problematic because all countries are in the world, so either all silver 1oz coins are "1oz silver world coins" or none of them are as they are rather national coins not made by a world mint as one doesn't exist. You wouldn't primarily call a Maple a world coin, you'd call it a Canadian coin, right? 

But if by world coins you simply mean coins that represent a country, that will include basically all 1oz coins with any country name on it. So you'll need to hone what it is you are talking about as I'm not sure we have a commonly understood term.

I think a Venn diagram may be necessary, then you can choose which segment you decide is worthy of the term world coins. 

38 minutes ago, arphethean said:

I don't believe there is an established definition for the term "world coin", and I'm not sure it even is a term in common use. So I guess you can define it how you see most appropriate and work out which coins fit that definition but someone else will have a different idea what it means. For me the term sounds problematic because all countries are in the world, so either all silver 1oz coins are "1oz silver world coins" or none of them are as they are rather national coins not made by a world mint as one doesn't exist. You wouldn't primarily call a Maple a world coin, you'd call it a Canadian coin, right? 

But if by world coins you simply mean coins that represent a country, that will include basically all 1oz coins with any country name on it. So you'll need to hone what it is you are talking about as I'm not sure we have a commonly understood term.

I think a Venn diagram may be necessary, then you can choose which segment you decide is worthy of the term world coins. 

The Royal Mint have a collection of World Coins for sale.

https://www.royalmint.com/shop/coin-sets/Flagship-Coins-of-the-World-1oz-Silver-Bullion-Coin-Set/

This is the scam I was on about yesterday, if you open the link from kevjustkev you will see that you can buy 6 bullion coins for £495 and they will put them in a box for you.

Granny and Grandpa might think this will be a good investment for the grandchildren and buy them a set each out of the 999 mintage. Ha ha eh!

9 hours ago, KevjustKev said:

I think you are perfectly free to decide which coin you will class as a world coin. If Noah's Ark fits your definition, then fine. There is no official authority that would order you to class it differently.

Personally, I'm missing any sense in this whole concept of the "world coins". Like, what are those coins which can't be classed as world coins - regional coins? Martian coins?

The only sensible meaning for the term world coins to me is "coins from abroad", as opposed to coins from my country.

Edited by CollectForFun

I am not sure neither about the meaning behind the term « world coins »,

but I guess it’s the idea of a coin that has legal tender in the country mentioned on the coin obverse/reverse?

I would have thought that the location where the coin is produced has also a part to play, but just saw the video post from @gji25on 2023 Britannias produced in the US. Which make me think of the term differently now 🤔